Ultimate Subaru Message Board

impreza-era steering rack in 2nd gen legacy??

superu

I'm curious for opinions and experiences with compatability of an impreza-based steering rack into a 2nd gen legacy. . .

I swapped a 98 LGT rack into my 95 legacy last year and now that one is leaking like a sieve too (the origional reason for swapping the stock one).

So I'm curious if any of the imprezas racks could be swappable too, like maybe a WRX rack.

My gut says no, but that's just an impulse... I know some RS bumpers fit on 2nd gen legacies so it wonder if the steering internals might bolt-up too..

thanks

Edited by superu

The fastest ratio stock rack in the EJ world (short of the STi rack's) is the 91 to 94 Legacy turbo rack. If I were you I would look for one of those.

Also change your pump and flush your lines. You probably contaminated the replacement rack with garbage fluid and metal shavings from the old rack or a dying pump. Make sure the entire system is clean - you might want to install a filter in the return line just to be safe also. Not heeding these warning is THE biggest cause of repeat rack failure.

GD

Yep. 100% direct swap.

SAHWWEEET!!

The fastest ratio stock rack in the EJ world (short of the STi rack's) is the 91 to 94 Legacy turbo rack. If I were you I would look for one of those.

Also change your pump and flush your lines. You probably contaminated the replacement rack with garbage fluid and metal shavings from the old rack or a dying pump. Make sure the entire system is clean - you might want to install a filter in the return line just to be safe also. Not heeding these warning is THE biggest cause of repeat rack failure.

GD

Good info guys, thanks a bunch!!! I'll look into it then!! This really opens the opportunities for re-replacing a leaky rack.

gen 1 legacy turbo (1st choice, but ooooolder), or ANY Impreza-based platform rack, right?

:clap:

Watch out, somewhere around 99-2000 ish they changed the spline type to a finer tooth on the ends of the column and pinion inputs. I'm guessing that you'll need to find a 98 or older rack.

Of course, you could make a custom coupler by welding the upper joint from a pre-98 to match the column, and the lower joint to match the input on the rack you choose. Then you could use all the way up to a '07 Impreza rack. (Forrester or Outback too)

We make couplers all the time for lifted rigs, just as easy to do a custom one for a street rig.

Edited by Gloyale

Watch out, somewhere around 99-2000 ish they changed the spline type to a finer tooth on the ends of the column and pinion inputs. I'm guessing that you'll need to find a 98 or older rack.

Of course, you could make a custom coupler by welding the upper joint from a pre-98 to match the column, and the lower joint to match the input on the rack you choose. Then you could use all the way up to a '07 Impreza rack. (Forrester or Outback too)

We make couplers all the time for lifted rigs, just as easy to do a custom one for a street rig.

Are you referring to the double U-joint shaft which links the steering column to the rack itself?

I just got one from a gen 1 OB (the longer one), since I've still been running with the stock legacy shorty...

this is a lifted application, BTW

I suppose that short coupler could be adding stress and strain to the system, considering my hub-fender is 2-2.25" taller than stock with my strut/spring lift combo. . .

But that's a good thing for me to consider, thanks for that...

I just got one from a gen 1 OB (the longer one), since I've still been running with the stock legacy shorty...

this is a lifted application, BTW

I suppose that short coupler could be adding stress and strain to the system, considering my hub-fender is 2-2.25" taller than stock with my strut/spring lift combo. . .

Unless you added a spacer to the crossmember, there should be no change needed to the coupler.

The difference I was talking about with the newer racks is the teeth are finer on the splined shafts. Length is a seperate issue, but easily addressed with a welder:Flame:

Unless you added a spacer to the crossmember, there should be no change needed to the coupler.

The difference I was talking about with the newer racks is the teeth are finer on the splined shafts. Length is a seperate issue, but easily addressed with a welder:Flame:

Ahh, I guess that makes sense that w/o the crossmember spacers, I wouldn't need the longer coupling. . . DUH!

thanks man ;)

Yeah, i get what you're saying about tooth count and being finer...

like thread pitch, but with respect to gear teeth...in affect.