Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Heat/overheat issue

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MaddCelt

MaddCelt

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Walton, KY

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

Ok, have an odd issue for someone to solve.

1998 Legacy OWB 2.5
Issue is that yesterday I was out waiting to pick up my roomate from work and needed to warm up. So I fired her up and noticed the heat wasn't blowing out very warm, yet the engine was still close to normal temp at the time. I first thought my new t-stat went bad until I brought the RPM's up and the heat improved. the drive home was more than warm enough.
One other thing I noticed is that she likes to run 3/4 on the thermometer when I am at an idle but when I either increase the rpm's at an idle or get moving past about 35 mph. Not over heating issues any other time.

Thoughts?

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,912 posts
  • WV

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

check fluid level.
when it's warmed up - are the fans turning on?

radiator is probably partially clogged but check simple stuff first
radiatorbarn.com has cheap new rads.

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

heat not hot=low coolant level.

is the overflow full. This would be from coolant being pushed out.

look for bubbles in the overflow when running. If they are present, this is your problem.

indicative of a head gasket failure.

every other post is a cooling issue with a 97/98 legacy it seems

#4 bork

bork

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • western md

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

heat not hot=low coolant level.

is the overflow full. This would be from coolant being pushed out.

look for bubbles in the overflow when running. If they are present, this is your problem.

indicative of a head gasket failure.

every other post is a cooling issue with a 97/98 legacy it seems

Why 97/98 legacy?

#5 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,602 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:37 PM

From 1997 to about 2002 every auto mfg had at least one engine with some sort of Head Gasket issue (including harley). The emissions standards changed and there was not enough time for real world testing of engines so they were forced to cross thier fingers and hope.

Dodge neons had a 80 + % failure rate, subaru about 15-20%

In your case I am not convinced it is a HG. Lets start off simply with a new Radiator cap. If it was a HG you would have overheated and not run hot. Also your T-stat is old and can probably use a replacement.

#6 MaddCelt

MaddCelt

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Walton, KY

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:51 AM

The hg's are less than a year old as is the radiator cap and t-stat. One thing that came to mind is the heater hose is not factory and had to make due with what I could get, might be a pinch point there that prevents the hot water to flow until the pressure is up.

Will check the levels in a few.

#7 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,602 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

Is the T-stat from subaru? Where are the HG's from as they should have been from subaru too.

Check your alt output also above 1800 rpm with everything on.

#8 MaddCelt

MaddCelt

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Walton, KY

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:00 PM

t-stat is factory

Not sure on the hg's, those were purchased before I bought it.

Levels are good.

Heat went to 3/4 and stayed there while I was idling at a construction stop point this morning. Went back to half once rolling again.

#9 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,602 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

I dont think this is a HG issue (yet). Flush the cooling system. Check for any collapsed hoses. What brand is the T-stat. Any sign of fluid loss.

#10 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

Why 97/98 legacy?

This is the year that subaru moved from composite to MLS head gaskets mid 97 for 2.2 sohc, and for 2.5 DOHC in forester and GT.

There have been revisions of the head gaskets that supercede old part numbers, so if you purchase a new gasket for those engines, they are the current updated design with more layers or refined design than what originally came on those engines for those years.

#11 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,602 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:36 PM

This is the year that subaru moved from composite to MLS head gaskets mid 97 for 2.2 sohc, and for 2.5 DOHC in forester and GT.

There have been revisions of the head gaskets that supercede old part numbers, so if you purchase a new gasket for those engines, they are the current updated design with more layers or refined design than what originally came on those engines for those years.

The only sure bet on that is if purchased from Subaru. Iy is a bit of a gamble from anyone else.

#12 3Pin

3Pin

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • Milwaukee

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

Any leaks from the water pump and how old is the water pump?

#13 the3rsss

the3rsss

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • vineland

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

This one actually sounds fairly easy to diagnose. No heat and high temps at idle. Air in the system right? Do we all agree with that? Now, how did it get there, thats the question. A small leak? Maybe a bad clamp or hose? Did you recently open up system to do some work? These things can be a *************** to burp. Hopefully its not headgaskets but it always seems to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users