Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The past few weeks the idle to the Forester has risen a bit while in drive (automatic). The car runs great and very strong with no faltering of any kind. I have to put a little more pressure on the brake pedal while at a stop than previously. I want to say it idles while in gear around 1500 RPMs or so and drops to about 500 in neutral. Also, the car Ala-Toyota does not accelerate on it own. I replaced the 02 sensor (front converter), and both the sensors on the throttle body about five years ago of mine accord (no light at all) and took off of the plastic box around the intake to clean it last Summer; everything is nice an tight. The MAF is original (though I have lovingly cleaned it with the appropriate specific spray and followed directions) and am wondering if after 12 years it has had it, but reluctant to spend the money if others rule it out. Some info I looked into, state these can go with or without a code/light and give the computer misinformation to run on. Symptoms for problems run the gamut.

Thanks as every to you awesome group!

Edited by john40iowa

Ok, just wanted to check. When you're coming to a stop and the engine rpms are up, do they drop back down if you put the gear selector in neutral as you're slowing down?

Has anything changed in the past couple weeks when you've noticed the high idle? Different gas station, any maintenance done within this time? What year forester do you have? Do you know if it has the idle control valve on the throttle body or on the intake manifold?

Ok, just wanted to check. When you're coming to a stop and the engine rpms are up, do they drop back down if you put the gear selector in neutral as you're slowing down?

Has anything changed in the past couple weeks when you've noticed the high idle? Different gas station, any maintenance done within this time? What year forester do you have? Do you know if it has the idle control valve on the throttle body or on the intake manifold?

'99 and I am not if the ICV where it is. There are two sensors on the throttle and they have been replaced; Yes the rpms drop back down while rolling in neutral.

Ethanol good point; Personally I am not a fan (I don't want to cause a big debate here) just not my cup and I pay extra for regular #87. Possibly I could grabbed the wrong one at the pump.