Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just put my winter wheels and tires on the 09 Outback. In doing so I discovered that my old 4 way lug wrench won't go over the nuts. It's too thick to slide into the wheel. Nice. That's what I've been carrying all summer.

I guess I will just pick up a breaker bar and a deep well socket. Does anyone know the size of the lug nuts? I used a 3/4 tonight, so I assume they are 19mm. Correct?

Thanks all. Yes, the tool that came with the car did work. It's just one of those little angle type things. Since I do my own wheels, and change them twice a year, and im very careful about how tight the nuts are, it will probably be fine. I have just had times in the past with other cars that a tool like that was inadequate to remove the lug nuts. I finally just started carrying bigger lug wrenches in all my cars. Maybe I don't need one in this case.

I've found that if you remove the lug nuts on a regular basis the little tool that comes with the car will suffice. Although the T handle lug wrenches are easier to spin around. :D If you swap wheels though, you should torque the lug nuts with a torque wrench to avoid over tightening and warping the brake rotors.