Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission lengths, 4wd 4spd vs. FT4wd 5spd

What is the difference in length between an EA82 FT4wd 5spd (single or dual-range) tranny and an EA81 4wd 4spd tranny??

I know that the 4spd is longer, but by how much?

I need to know because I plan to eventually put a FT4wd 5spd into my EA81 Hatchback, and I was curious to know if by some miracle of coincidence a Brat/Wagon driveshaft would be the right length. I'll most likely just need to get a custom shaft made, but I thought this idea would be worth checking into first.

Just went thru this.

There is no driveshaft from any ea81 car that is the right length. The 5spd trans is SHORTER and by around 9 inches. I was amazed that they added diff lock, and an additional gear and managed to make it smaller.

I will take some measurements tomorrow if you want. To really get an accurate measurement install the trans and then stick the ea81 driveshaft into the tail of the 5spd. Then measure from the end to the front of the diff.

Remember that trans is going to require custom axles for the front cuz they are 25 spline stubs. You could split the case and switch stubs but to date I know of nobody that has actually done that. I just got axles (on order in mail right now actually) from cvaxles.com. $105 plus shipping each.

My driveshaft lenghtening with 2 grease zerk u joints replaced was 183 bucks.

Thanks Shawn.

"about 9 inches" is what I wanted to know.

Since I'm putting this into a Hatchback, I can't use the EA82 driveshaft either. I was hoping that the difference in tranny lengths would work out to the 3.6" difference in wheelbase between the Hatchbacks and Wagons/Brats, but it sounds like it's not even close.