Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Quick Clutch Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SoobDood05

SoobDood05

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Klamath Falls Oregon

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:55 AM

Hi all, got a 90' OHC 5sp loyale, driving lately the car will be doing great, but when the light turns green at a busy intersection, my car will randomly not go into first gear, and trying to get it into first, manages to grind and make me cringe at the sound, then will suddenly pop in, shift smooth through all gears. this is totally random so im not sure what the case is, do i just need to adjust the clutch cable? is the pressure plate going maybe? clutch is 2 years old. Done a clutch cable on someone elses GL but other than that i am unfamiliar with clutch stuff, other than using it to drive lol, so thanks in advance For any ideas or input.

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,194 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

tighten it up. sounds like the clutch is dragging just enough to turn the synchros. I bet you have trouble in reverse, too.

tighten it, but not too tight, but just enough to take the slack out of the cable, that's all.

#3 l75eya

l75eya

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,255 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

Grind it till ya find it ;) haha obviously jk.

#4 SoobDood05

SoobDood05

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Klamath Falls Oregon

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:58 PM

Alright thanks for the tip! im on it, and yeah reverse has been a bit of trouble too, ever since this cold weather second gear and reverse make a rubbery squeak when they go in lol. thanks guys will update after i adjust the cable.

#5 SoobDood05

SoobDood05

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Klamath Falls Oregon

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

well i adjusted it and it seems to be a bit smoother now, it is very cold and snowing pretty good over here, i think a new clutch cable will need to be in order here soon at the dealership as im sure this one is very old and stretching, and its an easy job, so all is well for now, thanks all, cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users