Ultimate Subaru Message Board

breaking into my car

zzz

cut the door out around the lock, get a use door....

smash out window, get used window.

etc

etc

etc

Then, make extra key copies, and learn something from this.

Um... wat?

They're frameless doors. Stupidly easy to get something behind to push the lock button on the passenger door.

Get a friend to help hold the glass back while you wiggle something between the pillar and hit the button.

wedge the window open, stuff your arm in past the elbow, and unlock it.

This is easiest done on the rear doors.

Subarus are stupid easy to break into or steal, if you were into theft. But for your own sake, it's harder to lock yourself out than it is to get into.

you can star the car from under the hood without being in the car, as long as you can get the hood open.

you can drill out the lock pin and turn the ign switch with a screwdriver.

hooray for frameless doors

even simpler is to call the dealer and ask them to cut a key based on the VIN number. i've gotten a key about 5 or 6 times that way and only once they couldn't do it because the key code was recorded with the VIN. they can usually cut a key just off the VIN, even on old stuff - i've done it a bunch of times for XT6's...i've picked up like 20 or more of them and many of them parts cars or for some reason not having a key..or i lost it because i had too many LOL.

even simpler is to call the dealer and ask them to cut a key based on the VIN number. i've gotten a key about 5 or 6 times that way and only once they couldn't do it because the key code was recorded with the VIN. they can usually cut a key just off the VIN, even on old stuff - i've done it a bunch of times for XT6's...i've picked up like 20 or more of them and many of them parts cars or for some reason not having a key..or i lost it because i had too many LOL.

yah i actually tried that and they said they didn't have my VIN ...as far as the allen wrench - im curious also

You can work the lock barrel with a coat hanger. Slide a hanger (straightened w/a hook on the end) between the window and the weather stripping. Work the barrel. Easiest done before you lock yourself out...

Alternatively, hide a key on the car somewhere (I use a carabiner to hold it to the fuel line and tuck it behind the fuel pump, or clip it to the turn signal cable and stuff it in the front of the frame somewhere). Or, this car has an electric lock, tap into that and hide a switch...

Sorry, couldn't help teasing. Last time I locked myself out I knocked the rod between the lock barrel and the latch off its mounts. Still haven't fixed that, I go in through the passenger side :clap: . Had to call AAA to help me that time.

I locked myself out on my old '86 GL wagon and called AAA to unlock the car. Guy showed up with a slimjim and wasted an hour plus trying to open it. He finally called his office and they told him to unlock the REAR door with the slimjim since it couldn't be done on the front door. Five minutes later he had the car open. True story.

I probably shouldn't post this, watch me get forever banned from the forums -but with two allen wrenches (we use a second allen wrench instead of paper clip as used in the video), picking a car door lock, on most cars really is this easy:

Watch the video, a car door lock works the same way

we have to do this every summer out at my place for people that either lost their keys, or locked them in their car, my neighbor has it down to a science, I've watched the guy do it in less then 10 seconds an a number of occasions.

It takes a little practice but once you get the hang of it, it’s a peace of cake, I can do it in less then a minute, I’m not near as good at it as my neighbor is

• 5 months later...

Just in case this happens to anybody else, as it just did to me; milesfox' method is by far the easiest.

Didn't help me feel too safe about my car after completing it in about 50 seconds either....

Trying to get leverage on something to pop the door lock inward is too much of a pain. Rear doors are indeed easiest.

Pop the window out a bit at the top rear corner. Shove a wedge in there to hold it in place. Work the top of the window out of the roof frame a little bit at a time, eventually the window will just pop out completely along the top of the door. Bend the window back at the top forward most part of the window (It has a *lot* of play) shove your arm in and unlock the door.

And never keep valuables in your vehicle again after figuring all of this out.

Unbelievably easy.

Or, you know, you could find somebody with a Subaru key that looks similar to

yours and have them unlock your car.

Did that for a customer the other day.

Freaked him out good, but got him into his car without having to call a

locksmith :banana:

Twitch

PS: Don't use this trick to unlock cars you don't have permission to unlock.

That's called burglary. :lol:

zzz

cut the door out around the lock, get a use door....

remove door panel and pull the clip that holds the lock cyl in place FIXED

smash out window, get used window.

Wedge the frameless window open and stick your arm through FIXED

call a locksmith

Get into the car, remove the steering column cover, pull the ign switch, start the car. Drill out the lock pin FIXED

etc

Swap out a steering column with key

etc

Use a random subaru key as one out of every 65 will be the same

etc

Then, make extra key copies, and learn something from this. Either way you have to pay for an honest mistake.

:Flame:

whops, i forgot i already responded to this. I guess i was trolling...

I had to break into my car at the impound as i left the key in the console when it got towed for parking at a construction site i was working at. I asked the lot attendant for a fattie screwdriver and wedged the window to get my arm in to unlock it.

Or, you know, you could find somebody with a Subaru key that looks similar to

yours and have them unlock your car.

Did that for a customer the other day.

Freaked him out good, but got him into his car without having to call a

locksmith :banana:

Twitch

PS: Don't use this trick to unlock cars you don't have permission to unlock.

That's called burglary. :lol:

I have two of these ea82's, a 93 loyale and an 87 GL.

The key to the 87 GL (original key) works in the door locks, trunk, glove box, and ignition of the Loyale. It's a bit finicky (gotta wiggle it around a bit) but it works. The key to the Loyale (also original key) however does not work on any of the locks, trunk, glove box, or ignition in my 87 GL. The GL is the car I locked the keys in today lol. Go figure.

The key to the Loyale

I just have a key ring with copies of all subaru keys ive ever gotten

I can open and start almost any older subie with them. If that fails i get my lock picks out and do it that way.

Like stated earlyier its harder to lock your self out than it is to break in. Lucky no one thinks our cars are valuble.