Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82 timing belt change.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kybishop

kybishop

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Frankfort, Ky

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

Getting ready to change the belts on my 1986 EA82 GL wagon. Is there a write up or anything on this? I never have replaced one on one of these. Sounds pretty simple.

Thanks.

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:44 PM

OF course, there is a write up:brow: it is really easy to find. It is posted all over the place.

search for "ea82 timing belt check and replacement"

If you have any questions, just ask me. I wrote it.

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

http://www.economysu.../timingbelt.htm

#4 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:38 PM

While it may seem daunting at first, the timing belt job on a EA82 is very easy!

#5 kybishop

kybishop

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Frankfort, Ky

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:51 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,070 posts
  • WV

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

i'd get the ebay kits with all new pulleys, great price for what you're getting. the pulleys are scrap by now and worse off than the timing belt by this time sine that's probably been replaced once...and they probably never have.

#7 kybishop

kybishop

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Frankfort, Ky

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

Thanks, I'll check the pulleys out.

Whoever put the case on last must have put it on too tight. I got most all the bolts out but the ones on the passenger side. Three of them just spin with the brass fittings spinning with them on the back side. I will have to grind them off I guess.

Also, since all the cases are on I have to remove the pulleys to get the case off. Having a hard time getting the big central pulley off. Need something to hold it secure while wrenching on it. I am assuming this is the crankshaft pulley. However, I have a strong arm and socket on it and can turn it with the car in gear. Not a ton of resistance but some. Car ran strong before the belt went.

I have removed most all to get to the belts, alternator, A/C already removed. Fans are off but one bolt spins on the housing of one of them and will need to grind it off as well.

I see why a lot of guys run with the covers off. But, exposes the belts to the elements more.

Edited by kybishop, 07 November 2011 - 10:36 AM.

#8 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

IF the threaded inserts are just spinning, you should be able top pop the covers off with a flat screwdriver while turning the bolt.

Put your 22mm socket on a breaker bar, on the pulley nut, and butt it against the battery side of the car. bump the starter, and this will break it loose for you.

Putting it back on with enough torque will be the tricky part.

put the car in a higher gear with the parking brake on to tighten it. you will be torquing all the slack of the driveline out before the bolt itself torques on. so you will need a good half circle of movement to do it this way, orient your tool so you can get it tight!

#9 kybishop

kybishop

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Frankfort, Ky

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

"Put your 22mm socket on a breaker bar, on the pulley nut, and butt it against the battery side of the car. bump the starter, and this will break it loose for you."

Man, I love these ideas that are so simple yet I would never think of it. That is most excellent. :drunk:

I will try to pop the covers off. I thought they might but didn't try. I can feel them spinning on the back side with my fingers as I turn the bolts. The three that spin were never tight but all the others took a bit to break them loose.

Thanks!

Edited by kybishop, 07 November 2011 - 11:51 AM.

#10 man on the moon

man on the moon

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • Denver

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:09 AM

You will need a pipe extension, or a creative way to brace the wrench (you may be able to wedge a bar in place somewhere on top of the engine to brace the wrench).

Leave the covers off after you're done, it'll make the whole mess WAY easier the next time you have to do it, and won't harm much in the meanwhile.

#11 kybishop

kybishop

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Frankfort, Ky

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

Thanks everyone. She is back on the road.

#12 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users