Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 timing belt change.

Those idlers are siezed/siezing. I reccommend taking the lower km ones from the parts car. Idlers should spin freeish, and quiet. If you hear it, replace it. If you're handy, and have a press or a vise, you can replace the idler bearings on the cheap...

I agree with that, in fact, I've changed the mere Bearings,

even on the A/C belt's tensioner pulley.

Kind Regards.

new / good idler bearings are quiet and have a bit of drag due to seals and grease.  If they free spin for seconds, they are dry.  If they are hard to turn, they are bad.  If they feel "gritty" or rough, they are bad.  If they make a sound, they are dry & bad.

I find that running without covers reduces the lifespan of the belts by about 25%.  This may be an environmental thing, and I suspect that Jeszek's experience is more pertinent to your location.   I supect Queensland is more like the Honduras than northern British Columbia, and he has great results.

The torque used to install the cover bolts has no effect on how hard they are to remove.  I understand the inserts are brass, and they bond to the steel bolts galvanically.  Often, the only way to remove the covers is in pieces.  Leave the rear covers alone, as they have the timing marks on them.

I prefer to keep the centre cover, as it covers the crank sprocket and other very low rotating bits.  I believe it is the most effective in  keeping debris out of the sprockets.  It is bolted to the block, so the bolts come out, not like the inserts in the rear covers.

Use the newish idlers etc. from the parts car.

As for seals and water pump, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Good luck.

... This may be an environmental thing, and I suspect that Jeszek's experience is more pertinent to your location...

Yes it could be; I live in the Caribbean ;) 

Here Always is Warm and Winters are "Cool" only,

But we have huge Downpours and I do many offroads with my Subie...

... As for seals and water pump, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." ...

I Agree, Kind Regards.

... Now if only I could watch the Canadian Grey Cup here without having to join some subscriber based private channel for 3 months just to see one game...

How about finding it on internet based TV Channels?

Edit: This maybe? ~► http://blog.sportaholik.com/2015/11/28/grey-cup-2015-watch-online/

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

...So you are suggesting NOT using the used belts with 20000 km? (even if they are oil and obvious wear free)? ...

20,000 Kilometers seems reasonable to re-use them, if they pass your "Visual inspection" you know, if they has no tears nor wear beyond normal usage; the tensioners and idlers from that car might be alright, you need to check everything carefully, and use your common sense prior to make a decision.

Kind Regards.

common sense....something to be said about that.

Pity that politicians don't use it much....nor the judicial system.

thanks for the reply...and thanks for the mention of the various streaming sites. I have been looking at some of them....and figure I might get lucky and get that game on one of them. Hope so....one of those Cinderella games....where 2 Cinderella teams are fighting for the Grey Cup....but only one will be happy in the end.

As you may know...Canadian football is similar to American....except

fewer chances to make 10yards

fewer players on the field

longer and wider playing field....therefore more open game

thanks again.

rae

I know politicians and Judges doesn't have much common sense, because usually it is blinded with their big wallet that they *need* to fill ... Also I don't know nor understand anything from Sports, I am sorry ... But all that is Off Topic.

Keep us updated about the Progress of your Subie.

Try to share a couple of photos of it, with us.

We like Photos here ... Kind Regards.

• Like 1

not to worry...got it off...though it may be substantially stretched.

thanks for reading...but all is well...still would like to know how to upload my images.

Got a message that if I could upload them to the community they would be there for all to see...but no mention of how to do this

RAE

...Trying to put a photo up or two, just to get practice but have not managed it.

... I have to refresh the page (and lose everything I typed)

... would like to know how to upload my images ...

All your answers regarding how to Share images and videos on a post,

has been Answered here: ~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/152891-recurrent-question-how-to-share-photos-on-your-posts/

Kind Regards.

thanks for all the ideas....and thoughts ....everyone.

I signed up for Imageshack but this website would not allow the 'extension' to be uploaded to the website. So I am getting fed up with this running around trying to get pics on here.

I tried Flikr and that was a problem

I tried photobucket and there was a problem there too.

I really thought Imageshack had the good as I could get the picture on the post in my computer screen...but not send to server.

Anyway....the belts seem ok

The tensioners look newer. The idler ....which one is the idler.

there is a pulley directly below the crank pulley.....what is that for?

the the tension adjusters spin but only for about 1  to 1 1/2 second....I guess that is correct...as they look so new from the 'Parts car'

But one of the tensioners from the car I am fixing spun like crazy...2 seconds or more.

And the idler (which looks like a sprocket...is that right?) in the 'parts car' it looked very new but didn't spin much at all....whilst the sprocket type idler on the car to be fixed...spun for 5- 6 seconds. yet it looked old.

Now I have looked at a U-tube of a guy showing idlers....and they spun like crazy.  Can you fellows out there give a few thoughts to the above and pass them on to me? That would be wonderful...and I am sorry that my pics just aren't being uploaded.

thanks

Rae

DaveT got you covered on the Mechanical part of your Question, very well.

So I'll try to help you with your troubles to share your photos:

... I signed up for Imageshack but this website would not allow the 'extension' to be uploaded to the website ...

The problem is that you need to paste the Uploaded Photo's URL link (Copied from imageshack or whatever hosting site you chose) in the form that starts with http:// and ends with .jpg and also you need to Erase the http:// that appears already on the Dialog Box, here @ USMB, prior to paste said URL link.

Go ahead and Try again  :burnout: 

Remember: You need to paste the Uploaded Photo's URL link (Copied from whatever hosting site you chose) in the form that starts with http:// and ends with .jpg Not the one that already has HTML instructions, such like [image] at the Beginning, nor [/image] at the End.

Good Luck! ... Kind Regards.

thanks Dave T...very kind of you.....

thanks bumble beast....that is possibly the problem...they don't end in JPG.

they read thus

https://imageshack.com/ihlYWZdcjj

I put them in the window that comes up when I click on image icon above....the window accepts the URL but will not do anything when OK is clicked and will not disappear when 'x' in right hand corner is clicked...have to refresh to get page again...(without window).

OK I am getting down to the nitty gritty,

The cam sprocket LEFT (looking out windshield of the driver's side USA or passenger side Australia (where I am)) on the fixing car moves a bit by hand but not at all on the parts car (yet the parts car engine always started easily )

On the RIGHT side of the parts car the cam sprocket moved fairly easily.

Now not being a mechanic, and enjoying this exercise in learning, ....can somebody please excuse my ignorance and tell me just what they think? Is there a reason that a cam sprocket doesn't want to move if the car is in neutral. Moves on one side but not the other.?

thanks

Rae

THANKS FOR your suggestions Bumblebeast...but no option as you describe comes up. would like to cut and paste snap photo of what I see on my computer...but that does not come up either. But thanks very very much for your ideas. I try them all.

As for the questions in the above post....that is also interesting.

Hello Dave - T and bumble beast....

I have gone to a mechanic for his ideas about the tension adjusters and he stated that one had a little play in it.....I am reckoning that the previous owner ( a young woman of 22yrs) JUST had the belts put in....but who knows. Sticker says a kit at such and such a date and km....but who really knows..

But if tensioners were put in....then  maybe play can occur after 20,000km in a cheap adjuster? Just a millimeter of play.

what do you guys think....???? thanks

so I must decide now on the left hand tension adjuster as the units from fix em up car....has a bit of clicking which can't be good....

one person has suggested a new bearing could be put in....and that might be the answer. 

then the idler....... The one with a lot of spin in the car to be fixed spins too much at 5-6 seconds...whilst the other hardly spins at all, but is not gritty. Guess I should use this one. Belts look in tip top shape...and writing still visible on belt (DAYCO)

won't worry about seals as the interior of compartment is dry. (works...so don't fix it.)

THANKS

RAE

tHE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT...THE MORE I THINK THAT THE CAM SPROCKET SHOULD MOVE A BIT (ON THE DRIVERS SIDE usa AND PASSENGER SIDE Australia)

if I put a screwdriver in one of the holes and hit the shaft of the drive with a rubber mallet it moves a little bit...but not a lot. How easy should this sprocket move to get it around so that the hole is lined up at the top with the notch in the timing belt cover (the half behind the sprocket)?

thanks

Rae