Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 timing belt change.

The most important things to replace are the idlers / tensioners as used ones can seize /  fail destroying new belt/s

Its usually these that fail destroying the belt/s in neglect situations. rather than the belt/s failing

Made the mistake of reusing the toothed idler once with a new bearing pressed in by local subaru agents , only for it to fail / seize a year later

after belts replacement (destroying that new belt)

So wouldn't recommend trying to rebuild idlers either from that experience  - whether they pressed in the wrong (lowspeed?) one or damaged it 

Did replace tensioners though. 

Edited by subnz

the above is just a practice image post...sorry...however there is something of interest there. Somebody before me painted a white line on the cam sprocket that really threw me...as it isn't where it should be for the timing sequence. however, if one looks carefully, one can see in the upper right corner of the back belt cover...there is a bit of white...and I am guessing it lines up with the white line and if positioned such, the little hole will be in the right spot for the notch in the same rear cover. Now why do that when the hole should line up with the notch and that is perfectly normal. So you can possibly imagine what may have been going thru my 'not so experienced ' head.

Anyway, thanks to Jes Zek for all his tech help. (and others)

Rae

• Like 1

... Anyway, thanks to Jes Zek for all his tech help. (and others)

Rae

You're Welcome!

I'm glad that you finally found the way to share Photos with us, here. Congratulations:) 

The marked line, is usually drawn by Mechanics that are not completely Sure about how to get the Timing aligned, so they do such marking between the Sprocket and whatever is closer to it, Prior to Remove a timing belt and then place another new one; to be Sure that the sprocket hasn't moved.

Kind Regards.