Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Under-heating

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ever Victorious

Ever Victorious

Hazard to himself

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Everett

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

EJ22. Driving around town, has normal temp on the gauge, no heat from the heater while at idle but plenty of heat while at RPM's. Never overheats, even if you just let it idle endlessly. On the highway, temp drops to the C line or just above. It will blow heat until the temp goes cold (obviously). Coolant has just been replaced and the system burped. Does not appear to have lost any coolant from the overflow tank since the system was last serviced.

It's acting like the t-stat is stuck open. Any way to confirm that vs. some other cooling system failure that WON'T require me to drain the whole bloody system again?

#2 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

No heat at idle is a sign of air in the system, sounds like you have a leak.

It does also sound like a stuck open T-Stat, had the same issue on a brand new one a few years ago.

#3 rain_man_rich

rain_man_rich

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

Had the same issue in a chevy s-10 once. As it turned out, it was a piece of gasket sealant that partially blocked the heater hose.

#4 wtdash

wtdash

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 758 posts
  • N. ID

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:51 PM

Unfortunately, I also think it's the T-stat. Did you use OEM as recommended on here? The gauge on all my Subies never moves once to operating temp - the opening/closing of the Tstat never is really noticed on the gauge. Everett, WA doesn't get that cold, last I checked.

I also think you have may still have air...but usually that'll cause an overheating issue, in my experience.

To burp:
Once it cools off, take off the rad cap and fill it with 50/50 til full. Then, undo the top rad hose from the Rad on the passenger side and using a funnel or what-have-you, fill it 'til you can start to see it in the hose attached to the engine (coolant cross over pipe). Reattach the hose.

This has always ensured my system is full and w/out air.

GL,
Td

Edited by wtdash, 04 November 2011 - 03:57 PM.

#5 Ever Victorious

Ever Victorious

Hazard to himself

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Everett

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

Unfortunately, I also think it's the T-stat. Did you use OEM as recommended on here? The gauge on all my Subies never moves once to operating temp - the opening/closing of the Tstat never is really noticed on the gauge. Everett, WA doesn't get that cold, last I checked.

No clue. I've owned the car a whopping week. So far I've just done an oil and coolant change, which I always do immediately to any car I buy.

To burp:
Once it cools off, take off the rad cap and fill it with 50/50 til full. Then, undo the top rad hose from the Rad on the passenger side and using a funnel or what-have-you, fill it 'til you can start to see it in the hose attached to the engine (coolant cross over pipe). Reattach the hose.

And now, for another episode of, EV's Stupid Question of the Day!

... Uhm, won't that hose already be full of coolant and spill all over the place if I take it off?

#6 wtdash

wtdash

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 758 posts
  • N. ID

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

No clue. I've owned the car a whopping week. So far I've just done an oil and coolant change, which I always do immediately to any car I buy.

And now, for another episode of, EV's Stupid Question of the Day!

... Uhm, won't that hose already be full of coolant and spill all over the place if I take it off?

Not stupid @ all....I shoulda/coulda clarified: If the system is full, then
some fluid may spill out and don't bother filling. No place for it to go. :-)

TD

#7 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,541 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:11 PM

Coolant change .. there is an air buble.

Refill procedure:
remove cap.
With engine running slowly fill radiator.
ONce the t-stat opens (may be some overflow from the radiator) top off radiator.
Put cap on radiator
Fill overflow tank
Drive around block
Allow to cool

Check fluid levels, repeat if needed. If you have to repeat it more then once something else is going on.

Thats the proper procedure for all cars BTW, just people don't do it.

#8 Ever Victorious

Ever Victorious

Hazard to himself

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Everett

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

Well, it's better, I guess. I now have heat at idle. And at highway speed the temp gauge is no longer *AT* "C". It's just a hair above. :/

#9 wtdash

wtdash

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 758 posts
  • N. ID

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

Well, it's better, I guess. I now have heat at idle. And at highway speed the temp gauge is no longer *AT* "C". It's just a hair above. :/

Do you replace the T-stat??

Td

#10 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,210 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:10 PM

the gauge is suppose to be in the middle. not at or near C.

something is wrong with the t-stat. and maybe the radiator.
i bet the car was overheating and the previous owner modified the t-stat so it would not over heat.

it could be the head gaskets (look for gunk in the over flow bottle and or bubbles) but probably the radiator maybe the pump.

check the t-stat.

i pulled the t-stat out of a 90 nissan truck once and ran it that way for a year. i never knew a car could run that cool. and the gauge sat on cold almost all of the time.

#11 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,541 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

It actually sounds likt it doesnt even have a T-stat

#12 Ever Victorious

Ever Victorious

Hazard to himself

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Everett

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:02 PM

Do you replace the T-stat??

No, as indicated earlier in the thread. I absolutely ahbor dealing with coolant, so I was asking about methods that don't require draining the coolant. Which replacing the T-stat does.

It actually sounds likt it doesnt even have a T-stat

It now, after adding more coolant today, is acting exactly the same way that my Saturn acted when the thermostat was stuck open.

something is wrong with the t-stat. and maybe the radiator. i bet the car was overheating and the previous owner modified the t-stat so it would not over heat.

it could be the head gaskets (look for gunk in the over flow bottle and or bubbles) but probably the radiator maybe the pump.

check the t-stat.

No gunk or bubbles in the overflow tank. None of the other usual symptoms of a head gasket like coolant in the oil, white smoke, overheating, or coolant consumption, as far as I can tell.

So we're pretty much down to t-stat, radiator, and water pump now, eh?

Looks like I get to drain the coolant. Again. That makes me so freaking happy I could puke.

#13 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,210 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:27 PM

i replaced my radiator recently and i had done an engine swap about 2 years, 25k miles, ago. so i wanted to reuse the coolant. i bought a big flexible bucket or tub (purple) from lowes that holds about 3 gals. put it under the t-stat housing and loosened the lower hose at the t-stat end. i caught almost all of the coolant. then i made my wife strip off her pantyhose and i strained the coolant as i poured it into a couple of 1 gal jugs.

then i gave the pantyhose back. :brow:

#14 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,559 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:32 PM

. . . then i gave the pantyhose back. :brow:

You're such a super nice guy John. I hope your wife appreciates you. :)

#15 Ever Victorious

Ever Victorious

Hazard to himself

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Everett

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:58 PM

Ok, John, that made me roffle just a little... thanks...

#16 Ever Victorious

Ever Victorious

Hazard to himself

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Everett

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:16 PM

Aha! Took a peek under the hood last night after I parked the car in the garage, and found a VERY minute coolant leak. I wasn't noticing it pooling on the floor because it is so minute. It looks like the leak is coming from the driver's side of the radiator.

So now I have TWO excuses to drain the coolant. That's enough to satisfy me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users