Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check Engine Light Blinking: Misfire Cylinder 2, Poor Gas Mileage

We have a 98 Forester with 190,700 miles. Yesterday the CEL started blinking. I dropped by the O'Reilley Car Parts store and discovered they will use their OBD II code scanner to read your DTC. The only code was Misfire on Cylinder 2.

I've recently replace all spark plugs with those iridium plugs, all the plug wires, and fuel injectors. The car runs fine, but every once in a while it misses a beat--I guess a misfire.

Anyway, I've heard a blinking CEL is some sort of bad news about the Catalytic converter.

The gas mileage is terrible. I haven't had the chance to measure the miles per gallon, but at the rate the gas gauge needle is dropping, the mileage is very low.

Could this perhaps be a bad oxygen sensor (before the catalytic converter) even though no code is being thrown?

We've been using the Iridium plugs all along without any problems. That is what the mechanic used and we just replaced what was in there.

OK. The OE plugs are the NGK Laser Platinum. I had misfires even using the Bosch Platinum. They all went away when I got the NGK plugs and OE wires.

yes, an o2 sensor can be old and working poorly and not throw a code. bad fuel mileage can be caused by that or a bad knock sensor.

i would re-do the wires first, they are easier. but plugs and wires are probably the cause of the misfire. move the #2 wire, driver side front, to the passenger rear, #3. see if the misfire moves with it.

a flashing CEL is an indicator of a condition that could 'potentially' damage the cats. especailly if it goes on for a long time and is not addressed.

Edited by johnceggleston

We had a compression test done and a leak down test. Valves passed the leak down test. But eventually the problem turned out to be that the timing belt had slipped a couple teeth. So we replaced timing belt and belt tensioner. While we were driving it with the teeth slipped, could the valves have gotten burned?

yes, an o2 sensor can be old and working poorly and not throw a code. bad fuel mileage can be caused by that or a bad knock sensor.

i would re-do the wires first, they are easier. but plugs and wires are probably the cause of the misfire. move the #2 wire, driver side front, to the passenger rear, #3. see if the misfire moves with it.

a flashing CEL is an indicator of a condition that could 'potentially' damage the cats. especailly if it goes on for a long time and is not addressed.

Since the oxygen sensor was so old I decided to replace the front one. I had cleared the misfire code for cylinder 2 on Monday at O'Reilly auto parts and the next day it came back on the same way by flashing first. I dropped by O'reilley again tonight and it was the same code: Misfire cylinder 2.

I changed the front O2 sensor this evening and then started looking at the spark plug wires. I immediately discovered the number 2 cylinder spark plug wire was not attached to the spark plug. I just sent an email to my mechanic about this. I wonder if the plug got damaged from the sparks arcing to the spark plug. Seems the spark plug was able to fire enough of the time that the engine ran very smooth except for the occasional mis.