Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC compressor mount bracket

After getting the engine back together in the 97 2.2, the AC bracket will not line up with all the mounting holes in the block. One of them is about a 1/4 inch off.

Someone who I had hired and then fired to do an engine swap had brought an engine from a 93.

I am wondering if he got the wrong bracket.

Anyone know if the AC mount bracket for a 93 is different than the 97?

Otherwise, I must have put it together wrong with the alternator bracket. With the compressor installed the bolt on the tip ( right side) of the bracket doesn't line up and the compressor is out of alignment with the crank pulley

The bracket I am referring to is number 17 in the diagramACEARLY.jpg

Edited by eppoh

i'd get one for the engine you need, they should be easy to find. i know i've got one somewhere lying around, others would too.

that being said - #17 doesn't affect aligment of the compressor to crank pulley does it - i think it's #16 that does that - so maybe it's #16 that you need? i've seen that #17 bracket look different between different engines.

can you mount the compressor without using that bottom #17 bracket? install the top two bolts into the compressor and top two holes in the #16 bracket ?

Well I installed that compressor with both brackets, but just the one bolt on the bracket 17 would not line up. Like I said, though, with it installed that way, it was out of alignment.

So what you say, makes sense, that the # 16 would be the culprit.

I wish there was a diagram that showed all the washers and any spacers. Maybe I just installed it wrong.

Can you see on yours washers or spacers that would affect the alignment of the other bracket?

no spacers or washers on those bolts. at most just a washer under the bolt head, just typical stuff, nothing that affects alignment.

that said - i now recall that i almost never install both of those bottom bracket bolts. they're unnecessary and one is really difficult to get in, lined up, and tightened, so i just skip it. with 3 other bolts on a non-structural part like that it's way overkill to have all 4. alt gets 2 bolts and a/c gets 4? nah :clap: