Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timin' Belt Covers.

The only thing I miss from the timing belts' Covers, is the tiny point (Timing Mark) in the Back part of the Timing belt covers, that is intended for Timing Synchronization, because it went away with the Covers ... :banghead: ... I will Try to make my own timing Marks on the Metal Surface Behind.

But before that, I'll Like to know How you
(The people who Run their EA82's without Timing belt Covers) did to stamp the Timing Marks.

Anyone has Pics to Post?

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The dot on the cam towers will line up with the seam on the valve covers where the rubber gasket is.

For 0 deg TDC #1, the passenger side cam dot will be pointing at the sharp edge of the valve cover just above the 'SUBARU'

When the timing belts are serviced, and the crank pulley is removed, the woodruff keyway will be at 6 o'clock position for the III mark on the flywheel.

the woodruff key is the little slot on the crank snout that locates the timing sprockets and crank pullet to the crank snout. Without it, the sprockets would turn independednt of the crankshaft.

I am not sure what other tems to call it, a slot, a keyway, but the type of keyway it is would be called a woodruff key (half circle key into slot)

The pulley will be arranged like this. The tooth above the dot will be inline with the valve cover when looking from the top.

Notice the position of the bolts, and the location of the roll pin.

when the cam is 180 deg rotated, the dot will still line up with the valve cover gasket.

timingbelt1.jpg

Hey, so I'm getting ready to do my timing belts and water pump, and am wanting to take off my covers as well, just wanted to make sure that living in Colorado won't add any extra hassles with having them off. I should probably note that last winter, I came out from work to find all of my tires completely iced over. I can't imagine that would be very good for the belts. Also, mine doesn't have the nice little guard under them like I've seen on some in the junkyard, will this make a difference? Thanks.

Btw, the Bumble Beast is looking nice. :brow:

• Like 1

I like the video. I added it to my 'favorites' on my channel.

What software do you edit with? I have yet to try special effects in my videos.

I think it would be a neat idea to make a video of open timing belts, and throw a bunch of rocks, sand and other debris at them while running. Not suggesting you do it on your car, though! I would do so on my own car for demonstration.

• Like 1

... I should probably note that last winter, I came out from work to find all of my tires completely iced over. ...

Snow could be a Problem, I've seen pics of engine bays completely Drown in Snow, during fast winter winds; then snow becomes solid as Rock... The small guard you saw, could be helpful to avoid small twigs and branches to reach the Belts.

...the Bumble Beast is looking nice. :brow:

Thank you! ... I'm Glad that you like it!  :) 

I like the video. I added it to my 'favorites' on my channel...

Thank you! :)

... What software do you edit with? I have yet to try special effects in my videos...

I use Pinnacle Studio HD

also, I have another videos on my Youtube's Channel:

~► www.youtube.com/loyale27turbo

But sadly, Youtube removed a couple of my videos, (because they had the music from "Iron Maiden" :headbang: and "Within Temptation" -among others- in the Background), due something related to the copyrights... That makes me to be really "Creative" with the background music I use...

Kind Regards.

OK. I have pinnacle studio 14 as well. some of my videos have background music from a radio or car, and i have gotten copyright claims on them to where the song and artist are displayed with the video. I only had one video where the sound was removed by youtube.

• 4 years later...

Back on the Topic, this recent comment, written by DaveT on another thread, but regarding the Timing Belts' subject...

Directly from my 1986 factory service manual:  EA82 Timing belt replacement is due at 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever is first.

Directly from my 1990 factory service manual:  EA82 Timing belt replacement is due at 52.5 months or 52,500 miles, whichever is first.

Somewhere a long while back, I came across a TSB about lowering the interval for the timing belts.

Which makes sense, because I have been driving EA82s since 1988 and never had a timing belt make it to 60,000 miles.

...made me wonder about how often we drive the cars, that features non-interference engines, 'till their timing belts just simply Snap, without worrying too much on changing them at the proper interval.

I must confess... sigh ...that I have Not changed the timing kit on my EA82 "BumbleBeast" yet; so it is still running with both timing belts and the tensioners, that I installed, coverless, since year 2009, as written here on previous posts.

During all this years and miles, they have been spilled on both timing belts, Power Steering Fluid and Motor Oil, even soaked in Coolant, and also I have had washed out Clean the engine and its bay, several times with a Steam cleaner, using detergent and water, even gasoline to remove grease from torn c.v. joints' boots, and the old timing kit has been performing without a fail, so far...

Despite such mistreatment, both Subaru brand timing belts, looks like if they were put On, yesterday, somehow, I can only imagine that the Subaru Branded belts are from the ones with greatest quality available; but I bet that also the ability to get clean by a mixture of the free centrifugal action from being coverless, plus the warm air blown by both electric fans over them, has something to do with their longevity.

• Like 1