Ultimate Subaru Message Board

scared of the wiring/ who has a FWD EJ swap?

zukiru

can I count on you guys to get me through?

not planning to do ANYTHING till this spring.

but I have wanted an EJ in the 86 XTDL for a long while and keep putting it off for wiring. I even bought an RS EJ25 in 08 and then re-sold it bacuse of my lack of confidence.

I have read everything, but I know I will need back up and nobody lives close.

anybody got a FWD swap?

Edited by zukiru
title modification

Yeah I won't have an extra 200 bucks to get it done for me.

I did look into it. and it seems fair, it will just be too much with buying all the parts.

but. if I get stuck I may send it to him.

Edited by zukiru

is the wiring harness still in a car? or is it already pulled and in a pile?

i pulled mine with out labelling stuff, but i did make sure to remember the orientation and using the FSM wiring location/guide as a reference was able to locate and remove all the stuff i knew i wouldnt need. then proceeded to pull all the e-tape and loom off and remove the loose wires. only thing i messed up was cutting out the ambient pressure sensor as it wasnt part of the original engine harness but wired in with another part of the harness

i was hesitant about it at first as well. then my desire to have an ej25 loyale forced me to just dive in.

You can do it, just take your time and double check everything you are thinking about cutting out. its alot harder to wire in a ambient pressure sensor AFTER the swaps done and running, LOL:brow:

could think about starting with the wiring harness? strip it down so the engine doesn't sit forever or never get used. get the harness done and the engine and mechanical stuff will be the easy part.

doubt you need it but i've got EJ FSM's, i'll send you whichever ones match the wiring for the diagrams.

good luck drew!

Edited by grossgary

i like the idea of buying a donor car, atleast in the end you can part out whats left and get some of your money back.

I got lucky with my swap. my wife got Tboned in our 2000 Legacy Outback. (she wasnt hurt) but damn it sure openned up an opportunity, i made back the $800 it cost me to keep the car from insurance and then some, my swap really ended up only costing me about $350 including buying an engine hoist.

i may have found a good start via a friend/board member who isn't too far away from here.

it would mean not having the luxury of labeling it as I pulled it. but I will get it together i'm sure.

I had a dream that I found an H6 outback in the pullapart and it had a crushed roof so I figured it would run, and I swapped that in...

Dreams rock...

Edited by zukiru

It's not that bad - start at the ECU and work your way out from there. Basically any connector not connected to the Manifold, O2's, MAF, MAP, Ignitor, FP relay, Ignition relay, diagnostic connectors, or Alternator gets cut - any wires that go back to the ECU leave as long as possible when you do your cutting. Then trace out what each of the wires going to the ECU that got cut do based on your diagrams and wire them up. Besides a little bit of confusion that is bound to happen surrounding the power feeds from the fuse panel - it's pretty simple and straightforward.

The power and ground circuits are somewhat confusing because they branch out all over the place - just remember that any connector that doesn't go to one of the devices you need gets removed - you trace it's wires either to another connector you don't need (cut and remove as much as possible), to a factory splice (cut it there and leave the circuit intact except for the branch going to the connector you are working on), to the ECU (leave it as long as you can), or to another connector that you need (figure out what it is and label - leaving it as long as possible from the connector you are saving). Follow those basic 4 rules and you can't really go wrong.

Once you do a few and you are able to recognize the connectors from memory - it's almost an auto-pilot job. I can pretty much do a harness from whole to install-ready in about 4 hours. :-p

GD

thanks everyone! my confidence is rising!

if you get a obdII donor/motor/harness its a little easier (i've only done an obdII, but from people that done both, that is the consensus i gathered)

i tell ya tho. i love the ej25 in my car. its not running 100% on right now, few bugs to work out but its damn close. i dont think its anything swap related, more motor related as in sensors and stuff.

Edited by xbeerd

I went about getting all the parts, like adapter plates and a clutch, suspension and fuel pump way before I started. Then I bought the donor. Just to get some expensive stuff out of the way first. I knew I would re seal it and do the timing belts later. Then the harness has time to be done, afford it and research it again and again till you are blue in the face.

Then you find other issues like the head gaskets were weak or the injectors need cleaning. I have a list of unforeseen items on mine. Its a nice ride with the 22. I put in power steering at the same time.

Edited by Yo'J