Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Running out of gas.....

Ok keepin it short but ive run out of gas twice in a week. my fuel gauge doesnt work all the time and when it doesnt I go by milage. Since ive got 27" tires I take into consideration that about 50 mi on the odometer means about 60 actual miles. Usually I go 65 mi on 4 gallons of gas and put another 4 or 5 galons in but ive ran out at about 45_55 mi recently. Its not leaking anywhere, and I dont smell gas while driving or parked. Any ideas on what I could do mabey carb issues or somethin idk. Other than havin spare gas in the trunk which has been savin me from being stranded lol. Thanks.

Edited by subinewby

Usually I go 65 mi on 4 gallons of gas and put another 4 or 5 galons in but ive ran out at about 45_55 mi recently.

Colder temperatures and winter blend gas?

One suggestion for not running out of gas is to simply not plan on running your tank completely empty! If you start with an empty tank, and a car which gets 20 mpg, you shouldn't fill it up with 4 gallons of fuel and expect to pull into the gas station 79.9 miles later to re-fill. You need to have some extra, so that fluctuations in MPG won't leave you stranded.

Second, why are you only putting 4 gallons in at a time and filling twice a week? That would drive me crazy! :banghead:

Try this for a new technique. Estimate your MPG, look up your tank size in gallons, and then go fill the tank completely full until the pump clicks off. Reset your trip counter, and drive until you've gone enough miles that you've used an estimated 80% of your tank. Then, go fill up again completely until the pump stops, recording the amount (in gallons) that it took to fill it. You can now compute your exact MPG.

For your next tank, and all future tanks, continue filling completely full until the pump clicks off, and drive 90% of a tank full based on your actual MPG from the previous tank.

From here on out, just keep repeating the cycle. It might take a small scrap of paper to keep the running tallies, but you won't be caught off guard by changing MPG over the season, you will make the most use of your fillups, and most importantly - you will always have a good idea how much gas you actually have in your tank. Something which is impossible to know for sure if you keep filling partial tanks without letting the pump stop.

Well, unless you run out of gas that is. :D

If my gauge didn't work I would fill it up like above. The only difference is everytime I hit about 200 miles I would fill it up again. You are better off with a tank mostly full than empty. Suppose the station runs out of gas, power goes out, etc. Your more likely to suck trash up into your filters also. Might be time for a good tune up, just saying! But gas for the most parts suck now.

Running out of gas probably sucked up some gunk from the bottom of the tank, which is probably clogging up your fuel filter a little bit and also gunking up your carb, which is leading you to get less miles to the gallon than you initially thought you get.

Running out of gas probably sucked up some gunk from the bottom of the tank, which is probably clogging up your fuel filter a little bit and also gunking up your carb, which is leading you to get less miles to the gallon than you initially thought you get.

:clap: which is why the tank/sender/gauge being fixed was my first suggestion.

if I came off as a jerk, I apologize. but not knowing how much gas you have almost always eventually leads to running out. which is bad with an old fuel system.

Edited by zukiru
id instead of is

Yes I do need a new tank and I cant fill it up all the way, and I just replaced plug, wires cap rotor, distributor,and both fuel filters about a month ago. It just seems like such a dramatic drop in mpg. Ive just stuck with the 4_5 gallons cus I knew how far it would get me until now lol.