Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Getting a free Legacy/Thoughts about EJ swap

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

A friend of mine has a Legacy w/5speed with blown HGs (but still will run, just overheats after a half-hour of driving) and wants it out of his yard, so he offered it to me for free...should be picking it up today (Fri) or tomorrow.

Even with the Weber, my EA82 is just a gutless wonder, so I am desiring the EJ swap. I know I need the complete wiring harness and ECU, but is there anything else I should keep before scrapping the corpse? I'm planning on this being a winter project.

Can the EJ knuckles be run with the 4x140 setup? My D/R 5-speed shifts a bit rough, would it be advantageous to use the EJ 5-speed since I'm a fairly light wheeler (muddy fields and pretty easy trails)?

#2 Red92

Red92

Subaru Fanatic!

• Bronze Subscribers
  • 427 posts
  • Wisconsin

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

I know I need the complete wiring harness and ECU, but is there anything else I should keep before scrapping the corpse?

We had a thread just like this a few weeks ago. The end conclusion was, if you have the space and time, strip it down to a bare shell. Almost any of the extra parts can be re-sold, so each extra part you grab off of it is extra $$ in your pocket. :cool:

//edit: Here's the other thread: http://www.ultimates...ad.php?t=127587

Edited by Red92, 18 November 2011 - 11:19 AM.

#3 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,614 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

you will need the engine y pipe , and complete intake and air filter if your good at modding I would cram that legacy radiater and fans in your car, thats what I did

#4 cal_look_zero

cal_look_zero

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 611 posts
  • Grass Pants, OR

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:36 PM

A friend of mine has a Legacy w/5speed with blown HGs (but still will run, just overheats after a half-hour of driving) and wants it out of his yard, so he offered it to me for free...should be picking it up today (Fri) or tomorrow.

Even with the Weber, my EA82 is just a gutless wonder, so I am desiring the EJ swap. I know I need the complete wiring harness and ECU, but is there anything else I should keep before scrapping the corpse? I'm planning on this being a winter project.

Can the EJ knuckles be run with the 4x140 setup? My D/R 5-speed shifts a bit rough, would it be advantageous to use the EJ 5-speed since I'm a fairly light wheeler (muddy fields and pretty easy trails)?

Well if you get it, and it's a 90-91MY wagon, I have a list of parts I could use. A bunch of interior parts if it's any body/trim 1st gen.

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:36 AM

Why don't you just fix the Legacy and sell the EA turd?

5 speed Legacy is pretty sweet. Really no reason to drop it into a GL body with a bad D/R. Get some Outback struts and springs for the Legacy and just drive it.

GD

#6 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:33 AM

Why don't you just fix the Legacy and sell the EA turd?

5 speed Legacy is pretty sweet. Really no reason to drop it into a GL body with a bad D/R. Get some Outback struts and springs for the Legacy and just drive it.

GD

I had thought about that actually...but the Legacy has a pretty rough body (front fenders are okay, but the rest is in poor shape) and is missing a number of parts (a couple windows, headlights, some interior). I think it would be more expensive to fix it up than to do a motor (and possibly trans) swap into my EA...but I could be wrong.

#7 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,476 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

What color is the driver fender? I am looking for the dark blue (1994) but i think that color was not available for 90-91. But as long as it is not rusty it is candidate for me. I would also need the plastic surround piece for the inside door handle.(dark grey)

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:44 PM

A few windows, headlights, some interior, a HG job, and a flat-black rattle can job is cheaper and quicker than an EJ swap. That generation of Legacy is very common in the yards here in the NW and parts availability is really good.

Even a beat up and broken down Legacy is twice the car that a GL is - they are just all-around a better machine.

GD

#9 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

A few windows, headlights, some interior, a HG job, and a flat-black rattle can job is cheaper and quicker than an EJ swap. That generation of Legacy is very common in the yards here in the NW and parts availability is really good.

Even a beat up and broken down Legacy is twice the car that a GL is - they are just all-around a better machine.

GD

Well, it turns out I was mistaken on which car I was getting. The beat-to-hell one in the front yard wasn't it. As it turns out, the Legacy I just drove home (current tabs and everything!) only really needs a rear driver's side window, a stereo install kit and a very thorough cleaning (smoker's car)!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users