Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Getting a free Legacy/Thoughts about EJ swap

Redcap

A friend of mine has a Legacy w/5speed with blown HGs (but still will run, just overheats after a half-hour of driving) and wants it out of his yard, so he offered it to me for free...should be picking it up today (Fri) or tomorrow.

Even with the Weber, my EA82 is just a gutless wonder, so I am desiring the EJ swap. I know I need the complete wiring harness and ECU, but is there anything else I should keep before scrapping the corpse? I'm planning on this being a winter project.

Can the EJ knuckles be run with the 4x140 setup? My D/R 5-speed shifts a bit rough, would it be advantageous to use the EJ 5-speed since I'm a fairly light wheeler (muddy fields and pretty easy trails)?

I know I need the complete wiring harness and ECU, but is there anything else I should keep before scrapping the corpse?

We had a thread just like this a few weeks ago. The end conclusion was, if you have the space and time, strip it down to a bare shell. Almost any of the extra parts can be re-sold, so each extra part you grab off of it is extra $$ in your pocket. :cool:

//edit: Here's the other thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127587

Edited by Red92

A friend of mine has a Legacy w/5speed with blown HGs (but still will run, just overheats after a half-hour of driving) and wants it out of his yard, so he offered it to me for free...should be picking it up today (Fri) or tomorrow.

Even with the Weber, my EA82 is just a gutless wonder, so I am desiring the EJ swap. I know I need the complete wiring harness and ECU, but is there anything else I should keep before scrapping the corpse? I'm planning on this being a winter project.

Can the EJ knuckles be run with the 4x140 setup? My D/R 5-speed shifts a bit rough, would it be advantageous to use the EJ 5-speed since I'm a fairly light wheeler (muddy fields and pretty easy trails)?

Well if you get it, and it's a 90-91MY wagon, I have a list of parts I could use. A bunch of interior parts if it's any body/trim 1st gen.

Why don't you just fix the Legacy and sell the EA turd?

5 speed Legacy is pretty sweet. Really no reason to drop it into a GL body with a bad D/R. Get some Outback struts and springs for the Legacy and just drive it.

GD

I had thought about that actually...but the Legacy has a pretty rough body (front fenders are okay, but the rest is in poor shape) and is missing a number of parts (a couple windows, headlights, some interior). I think it would be more expensive to fix it up than to do a motor (and possibly trans) swap into my EA...but I could be wrong.

What color is the driver fender? I am looking for the dark blue (1994) but i think that color was not available for 90-91. But as long as it is not rusty it is candidate for me. I would also need the plastic surround piece for the inside door handle.(dark grey)

A few windows, headlights, some interior, a HG job, and a flat-black rattle can job is cheaper and quicker than an EJ swap. That generation of Legacy is very common in the yards here in the NW and parts availability is really good.

Even a beat up and broken down Legacy is twice the car that a GL is - they are just all-around a better machine.

GD

A few windows, headlights, some interior, a HG job, and a flat-black rattle can job is cheaper and quicker than an EJ swap. That generation of Legacy is very common in the yards here in the NW and parts availability is really good.

Even a beat up and broken down Legacy is twice the car that a GL is - they are just all-around a better machine.

GD

Well, it turns out I was mistaken on which car I was getting. The beat-to-hell one in the front yard wasn't it. As it turns out, the Legacy I just drove home (current tabs and everything!) only really needs a rear driver's side window, a stereo install kit and a very thorough cleaning (smoker's car)!