Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blower/horn/shift lock not working?

I have a 1990 legacy with a confusing issue. Over the last 18 months the blower would stop working for a couple days to a couple weeks and then start working again, usually before I had a chance to investigate. About two or three times ago I (10-12 months ago) it was non working long enough for me to pull the blower. It was full of leafs and debris. I cleaned it inside and out and bam worked again. For a couple months. Around this time I connected the blower issues to the shift lock issues (have to push shift lock button to shift) to a non working horn.

About a month ago it all stopped working again and this time it seems to be permanent. Blower is clean and when jumped to straight 12v, it works just fine. Blower connector is getting 12v whenever fan is on, yet the blower doesn't work. Relay has been bypassed with no change.

I have some wiring diagrams off alldata but they are hard to follow and I'm having trouble making use of them.

Fuses appear all good. I can't find any link between the three functions, so is this just bad luck or is there something that all these functions share?

I know someone out there has my answer, thanks

for your guys help in advance!

Jared

• 10 months later...

Bump. So far its been a year almost and I'm ready to fix this for good. Plus it's getting cold again!

So to recap, no blower, no horn and the shift lock don't work, all stopped working at the same time. I figure it must be a bad ground or a broken wire or something. Blower motor works fine when powered outside the car and is getting 12v at the connector.

Did you see the response on the other site to your query?

"I have this same problem but fixed it last night. Our horn and blower motor at first were intermittent and then stopped working completely. I found somewhere it said the horn relay was behind the left kick panel. When I removed the panel I found two heavy wires underneath the fuze panel by the drivers left foot, one of them looked repaired at some time with a bad splice. The heavier wire is black and red. That wire had two areas that were bare. I put a test light across the splice and it was hot all the time. Then I checked it as it went into a gray connector where it was also bare and it was dead. I made a jumper and went across the two bare spots, the splice in that wire and the blower motor started to work and the horn worked now too. I wished I would have taken a picture of this where it was repaired or maybe that's the way it came from the factory I'm not real sure. I removed the splice and soldered a longer wire onto the original spade terminal within the gray connector and now everything works as it is supposed to."

Now to start tracing your own wires...

the first check is do the hazards work ? they share the fuse with horn then fix the burnt fan realy under the ds side of dash then take the shift interlock realy box and resoider the ground on the chip board . and mabee a fan motor if you tap the motor with hammer and it restarts then needs a fan.

I didn't see the other response thanks for reposting that. I'll have to carefully examine those wires.

As for your reply Ivan:

You think all those things went bad at once? This was a turn the car on and one day "x" didn't work sorta deal.

Blower relay was checked and is good, blower is getting 12v (signaling the relay is working as well)

Blower works well when supplied with 12v outside the car

Will check hazards in the am and report back!

Thanks again for all the help, I'm gonna get this figured out!

• 5 weeks later...

The power wire feeding the fuses was totally the issue!! Thanks a lot for that hint. Once I started poking around the fuses it was pretty obvious, wire was heavily corroded and had severally overheated. Gonna try and find a suitable donor tomorrow at the pick n pull, along with a faulty taillight harness.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help and hints.