Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:31 PM
Well, it's been on hold for a couple reasons. First I lost a cam lobe on my daily driver (EA81 Wagon, EA81 with SPFI, 5K on a fresh HP build, torque cam, decked block, head work, solid lifters, the works). I took a few months and just EJ swapped that car and I am VERY pleased with the results.
Secondly I wanted to search out an EA82T water cooled turbo for it since the original one on this seems to be only oil cooled. Every EA82T car I found in the local yards were just BAKED beyond belief, sloppy turbo shafts, cracked housings, seized up, ect.
Before I shelved this project late last year I picked up another set of pistons (exact same oversize) but 9.5 SPFI flat tops. I have all the parts to assemble the block either way (N/A high compression multiport EA81 or low compression EA81T). I need to figure out what to do about the cam also. I don't want another early cam failure with a noisy valve train and poor idle quality. I'm open to suggestions;) No, I don't have a shell for it yet. I had planned to find a hatch body for it originally.