Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello and pictures of our new Project, 1979 Brat

Hello everyone, first off, loving this site. My son is 14 and I remember all the knowledge I gained from working on my first car. (1972 Fiat 850 Spider) I worked on that thing continuously. My dad and I spent a lot of time together working on that thing. In fact, I had that car from when I was 15 until I was 30. After my son was born (2nd kid) a 2 seater was not practical so I traded it for a 1985 VW Cabriolet (I still have and drive this). I have a hard time selling cars, I also have a 1983 VW Vanagon Westphalia Camper.

So we started looking for a project car/truck. Went through Toyota's (too expensive, rust buckets for the year we wanted), Nissan (didn't like the look) Chevy, Ford (too many and everyone has one).

Then we saw a 86 Brat on craigslist, It was sold before we could get ahold of the guy. That turned out OK because he wasn't real thrilled with the Gen 2 body style. While researching info on the Gen2 we started noticing the Gen 1 Brats. He liked those. He liked the round headlights and the rounder, older body style. So it was decided, let's find a Gen1 BRAT.

We wheeled and dealed on one from Omaha but just didn't like what the seller called "ready for paint and rust free". While dragging our feet on that one, One came for sale on craigslist about 45 miles from our house. 1979 Subaru BRAT. Came from California, and still had the CA plate on it. It was suppose to be very clean and very little rust. It was and we bought it.

We've been collecting parts fixing little things caused by it sitting for awhile, did some rewiring of the VR, battery, lights etc. Still have a lot to do. We plan on getting the body all taken care of and painting it. Going to leave it mostly stock, maybe some small mods just to make it his own. You know, you got to put your twist on it.

You will be seeing us on here a lot looking for little stuff to complete this project. I look forward to posting pictures of the progress.

Thanks to everyone in advance for all your knowledge and advise!!

Hope you enjoy the "before" pictures, Shawn (dad) and Michael (son)

1979Brat017.jpg[/img]

1979Brat010.jpg[/img]

1979Brat005.jpg[/img]

1979Brat003.jpg[/img]

1979Brat002.jpg[/img]

1979Brat021.jpg[/img]

1979Brat020.jpg[/img]

1979Brat019.jpg[/img]

Yes, It is the Williamsburg Brat. Now it is the Washington "Demon" Brat. Now you know the username idea...Demon Brat.

Nice! Glad someone got it as I was torn each time I saw it out there... because my wife likes the Gen1's and I'd like to use my lift kit :)

My '86 I sold was probably the one you inquired about. It sold to a guy in CR :)

Welcome to the Subaru Family!

Not interested in a/c parts???

Not at this point. The Brat is an original AC car. I have a lot of the parts but I think this first restore will be AC free.

Come on, he's going to be 16, he doesn't need air, I didn't have it when I was a kid.

When we were working on the interior, we were talking about removing the air conditioning and he asked me, " Am i gonna have heat?" and I said "yes, you'll have heat". His reply was " cool, that will be nice".

You gotta love a kid that is happy just to have heat. :D

Yeah agree with you on the AC. These cars only have like what 71HP anyhow, and not like they can hardly be driven 65mph tops anyhow, so no one is gonna be able to want the AC to rob the higway piower, HP etc. Windows work just fine.

If a car had already workig AC, then yeah fine, But to buy a AC it for 50 bucks, and spend 200 bucks to have a shop cahrge it, is not much sense to me either,

more pics needed soon.

Have to generally agree but offer a different opinion on top speed.

Mine is a '78 4WD wagon with all the A/C stuff still in place.

Wife calls on the cell phone from her Legacy on the way back from Carlisle - Import Kit/Replicar Show and says "I'm doing 90 and I'm loosing you".

I'd say they top off around 92-4 MPH with the proper tune up , tire pressure , and driver. :D

• 5 months later...

Time for a small update. We have been slowly gathering parts and are pretty close to having everything we need. Thanks everyone, you know who you are. :clap:

We striped the front end off and have put it up on floor jacks. The brakes have been gone through and are done. New rotors, calipers, pads, shoes. We replaced anything that looked questionable or worn.

My son was all worried about it not idling prefect (probably going with a Weber and losing the 2 miles of emission lines). I told him "it is more important to stop than go".

Going to finish painting the front and engine compartment (KBS Coating) then start on all the sanding and interior. Hoping he can drive it to school in August.

Picture of inner fender well before.

IMG_20120420_185141-1.jpg

After we sanded, wire brushed, and undercoated. Also new rotor, calipers (he wanted orange), painted disc brake shield (silver).

IMG_20120428_162903.jpg

IMG_20120428_162931.jpg

His plans are semi gloss black rims with a chrome beauty ring. He was hoping the orange calipers would look cool through the rims. They do look good.

IMG_20120420_185458.jpg

Plenty more to come. now we get after the front and clean up that engine compartment.

IMG_20120420_185718.jpg

IMG_20120420_185735.jpg

Been fun so far, thanks to everyone who has passed along knowledge and PARTS!!

• 1 year later...

It has been 1 year and 11 months since we bought it.  My son is 16 now and he drove it to football tonight, then to his girlfriend's house.  I want to give everyone a huge thank you for your parts and knowledge.  Seriously, we mounted the roll bar and I barely got two pictures taken before he hit the streets.  We have a little trim left to install, and then just odds and ends but it is on the street and looking good.  This weekend we will try and take more pictures of the interior, engine, and bed.

Again, thank you everyone.

Brat2.jpg

Brat.jpg

• Like 1