Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4 to 5 lug confusion - 94 Loyale

solakian

I've been reading through lots of threads on this forum regarding converting my Loyale from 4 lug to 5 lug. There are two versions for the front, one is much simpler than the other. I would like to hear from some of you that have done the swap to better understand what is really necessary.

Version 1; For the front of the car, you will need to change: Struts, lower control arms, spindles, brakes (calipers, rotors), hubs, and tie rod ends. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50400

Version 2; You can literally use any front knuckle assembly off any newer Subaru. They all have the same ball joint and strut mounting. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=126625&page=2

I would also like to know what has worked for you regarding the conversion of the rear wheels. There are fewer posts, but one that I found suggests that I will need the hub, backing plate, rotor and caliper from a 4WD XT6. Are there any other choices (simpler) for the rear?

Are there any other choices (simpler) for the rear?

Nope. Those hubs are the key to the 5 lug swap. You can make backing plates or caliper brackets if you have to. You can use any EA/ER rear caliper, and the rotors are available at most auto parts stores.

With the rear you're suck with xt6 parts.

You also need xt6 front control arms, our the ability to team the ball joint mount on the ea82 arms.

You seem to be reading the right posts.

(i have my rear swap ready to go just need front stuff, and some :burnout: )

Nope. Those hubs are the key to the 5 lug swap. You can make backing plates or caliper brackets if you have to. You can use any EA/ER rear caliper, and the rotors are available at most auto parts stores.

A friend of mine just did a 5-lug swap on his loyale, he had a HELL of a time finding new rotors for the rear!

As I just posted a week or so ago....

There are SOOOO many different ways to do it, so it's hard to put together one comprehensive "how-to". But, by far the best one I've seen is this one:

(this link has the discussion, but the image links are dead)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87403

(and with the new pictures)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97074

did he try the Chevy cavalier option?

or is that for the fronts?

that's the fronts

That's odd when I did my five lug, I called the local parts store and they had them in two days.

Yea, first try he failed to sufficiently clarify that they had to be for a 6-cyl XT....so he got 4-lug rotors. Then he tried a couple different local stores with no luck. Then another friend of ours who works at a repair shop was able to find a pair, but had to do some serious searching.

I just looked on RockAuto, they do still have them, but many of them are on closeout....

• 4 weeks later...

I would also like to know what has worked for you regarding the conversion of the rear wheels. There are fewer posts, but one that I found suggests that I will need the hub, backing plate, rotor and caliper from a 4WD XT6. Are there any other choices (simpler) for the rear?

The reason for the fewer posts is that the rear assembly from an XT6 is an easy, straight conversion: take the old parts off and put the new parts on. No need to dink with conversion axles, swing arms, ball joints or anything else.

Having done the 5 lug conversion on the rear of our '82 Brat it dawned on me that I should order a new set of rear rotors while they were still available. Most of the ones on Rock Auto are pretty pricey and I'm never positive that it's the 5 lug version or 4. I googled one of the closeouts and found them $2 cheaper on Amazon! I'll order mine as soon as I confirm they are 5 lug from the seller and count on Rock Auto to have given the correct p/n for a '89 XT6.

http://www.amazon.com/Centric-Parts-121-47007-C-Tek-Standard/dp/B001KNYTY4

Amazing what can be found on Amazon!

Yikes, $2 cheaper for one rotor; $23.45 shipping for one! Back to Rock Auto.

Interesting, shipping charges from Rock Auto FOR TWO rotors was $12.32! Ordered mine before they run out.

Edited by edrach

I replaced all the rotors last summer on my xt6. Carquest supplied mine, just be sure and specify their worldpac line. ( im assuming Carquest is nation wide ) Nice thing is there is usually pictures on their computer, they can tell me if its oem or who manufactured it, and usually I have more than 1 choice of manufacturers. What they have needed to order for me has usually been just 1 business day away and no freight costs, not bad considering I live literally on the west coast.