Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About this:

...My BumbleBeast tend to Start the electric fan when Temp reaches Above the Middle and I Don't Like That... I Like to keep the engine Cooler.

Now with the Fixed fan it Usually Runs around 1/4 temp gauge.

So, I Must change the Thermo Switch... isn't it?

Are those Standard? ... So I could find a Lower temp thermo Switch and swap the actual one...

Has anyone swapped the Thermo Switch to run Cooler? ... is that doable?

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Today I Went to some Junk Yards (Locally known as "Yonkers" click that word for mo' info & Pics) and some car parts' stores, searchin' for a dual fan setup, like the one in the picture above. My Subie's Radiator has the Followin' measurements: (no scientifically accurate measurements were taken, just approximate to have an overall idea of the size I'll need to search)

Wide: (almost) 25 inches, not measuring both vertical Tanks, just the Cooling core.
Tall: 14 inches, from Upper frame to Lower frame.
Free Space from the Pulley to the Radiator: (Maximum clearance available) inches. (Maybe a milimeter more)

Interesting is that I Found in a Junk Yard, a Complete Radiator that has a Frame with Twin Fans, it belongs to a Toyota Corolla; The Frame with Twin Fans has the following measurements:

- Wide: 24 inches, from side to side of its frame.
- Tall: 14 inches, from Upper frame to Lower frame.

I cannot measure its Thickness very well because it was still mounted on the Corolla's front clip with its Radiator, but seemed like one of those fans has 2 inches thickness while the another one inches, by coincidence, the Slim fan was at the Driver's Side where the slim one is needed, while the thickest fan was on the Passenger's side:

CorollaTwinRads.jpg

The only problem was the Price: The Junk Yard's Salesman asked too much money for it ($ 100.ºº on US Dollars equivalent)

So I Continued searching...

to add web link that explain "Yonkers"

Found an aftermarket 12 inches Brand New (chinese) Radiator Fan; fast, powerful and yet very Slim... inches!

The cost of two of those will Raise up to $ 75.ºº US Dollars, Plus I must build a Small frame to attach both to the Subie's Radiator... Could end costing the Same than the Toyota's ones, but those last ones 'could' have better Quality.

What do you think about?

Found 12 inches Brand New (chinese) Radiator Fans, some very Slim... 1½ inches!

The cost of two of those will Raise up to $ 75.ºº US Dollars, Plus I must build a Small frame to attach both to the Subies Radiator... Could end costing the Same than the Toyota's ones, but those last ones 'could' have better Quality.

What do you think about?

The fan I'm using I believe is out of a legacy, and it just about bolts up, you could just about wire tie it, it’s a very simple process.

I'll get some pictures of mine posted when I get home

That means that the Stock A/C electric fan has a permanent Positive (+) and the Switching line is the Ground (-) isn't it?

So I can run a Relay with direct positive and ground to the New fan, and obtain the Switching signal for the relay, from the Stock A/C Fan's Ground; isn't it?

Could you post pictures of your Dual electric fan setup, please?

Also, about this:

I am a little bit confused... Why don't you leave the Waterpump's Pulley without screws?

those won't be needed anymore without the Clutch fan.

Kind Regards.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Here are some pictures of my auxiliary fan setup, General Disorder is going to know more about it then I will as he’s the one that’s done the work, but to the best of my knowledge, here’s what I got.

This is a picture of the water pump with the fan removed, the pulley is still installed as it’s needed to turn the pump, the studs were shortened because the fan is no longer installed, and I didn’t want big ol’ long studs sticking out, so GD ground them down:

th_100_1753.jpg

This is another picture of the same pulley and pump, just a better view of it, it’s really tight down in that area and hard to get the camera down to it.

th_100_1772.jpg

Here is how it is wired, on the left, circled in red is the fuse, and on the right circled in red is the relay, he used a junk yard relay out of a Legacy.

th_100_1752.jpg

The fan is wired to the relay, the relay is then fed to ground and battery positive, and the yellow wire coming off the relay is to go to the switch that turns on and off the stock fan.

And this is the fan, it is out of an older Legacy, and just about bolts right up, I used one stock screw to aline it up, and two self tapping screws to anchor it down so it wouldn’t move around., it is screwed into the radiator core cap both top and bottom just the same as the stock fan is:

th_100_1773.jpg

Thank You for posting those Pictures and Details, Your electric fans' Setup looks Great and Simple; I Really Like it.

I only have a Question about this:

...The fan is wired to the relay, the relay is then fed to ground and battery positive, and the yellow wire coming off the relay is to go to the switch that turns on and off the stock fan. ...

By 'Switch' you mean:

The Original Thermo Switch on the Car, that starts / Stops the Stock electric fan, isn't it?

Or you have a manual rocker Switch on the Dash?

Kind Regards.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks!

This is the 12 inches Brand New (chinese) Radiator Fan, very Slim: inches!

getThumbnail_Imageaspx.jpg

10 Curvy Blades for Better air flow, I Could obtain Two brand new for around $ 75.ºº 

Then made a metallic Frame for both to attach 'em to the Radiator.

What do you Think about that idea?

Stubies setup appears to be identical to mine aside from where the fan came from...

...and you obtained your electric fan from?

... If the switch he is speaking of is the thermal sensor, ours are wired the same as well.

OK, so the original subaru wiring powers your Subie's electric fans. Both, isn't it? Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

...and you obtained your electric fan from?

A early 80's EA81 Subaru with A/C.

OK, so the original subaru wiring powers your Subie's electric fans. Both, isn't it?

Not exactly. The new fan is on a relay, so the actual power source is the battery. The original fan's positive provides the switched power for the relay, and the ground goes the new fan's ground.

Not exactly. The new fan is on a relay, so the actual power source is the battery. The original fan's positive provides the switched power for the relay, and the ground goes the new fan's ground.

OK, I will Wire my Twin fans setup with a Relay and use the original wiring to do the Switching job.

Better safe than sorry! :D

Now I Need to find the right twin fans setup.

Tomorrow I'll travel to Comayagüela city to search for either: two Brand new Fans (and build a frame for them)

or the Used Corolla (or similar) Twin fans setup.

Wish me Luck! :burnout:

Thank you! :)

Well... I Went to my Parts hunt trip, went to half dozen "Yonkers" and searched all the Morning for a Slim set of Twin fans for my Subie...  I had the time to correctly measure the Corolla's twin fans that I've posted here before, and resulted:

• Corolla Twin Fans: inches Thick, too much for the EA82 clearance.  :(
  • Nissan Twin Fans... Had much more thickness than that ... :o ... 
  • Ford Twin Fans... Even more thicker, but I Liked them: Bosch brand with curvy blades.   :slobber:
  • I Measured many more... Nothing!  :mad:

Every Twin Fans set was way too thick to fit on my Subie! :banghead:

I continued searchin' among more local Junk Yards, until I Found a Slim Twin Fans set, inside a Toyota Prius.

Holy Cow! ... The Prius has one of the Worst crowded engine bays I've seen in all my Life, even the hand of a young girl can't go inside there!  ... :eek: ...  I had to disassemble almost all the front of the Prius' front clip (Headlamps, grille, the metal bar behind those...) to reach that area and remove the Radiator + its Fans.

This is the Twin Fans Set from the Prius:

PriusTwinFans1.jpg

Made in Japan, by Nippon-Denso;

Eleven curvy blades per fan, and 2¼ inches Thick:

Awesome!