Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I Really Dislike about that, is the fact that it only leaves ¼ inch of free space, between the Spinning Waterpump's pulley and the Prius fans' back.

That complicates my idea to simplify things in the engine. :(

Even I Removed the covers from the timing belts to simplify things when I need to change one.

NakedTimingBelts.jpg

So, after searchin' for a good Slim aftermarket Electric fan, Local mechanics suggested me to use the one I Obtained: A Slim 12" Electric fan, very powerful & Fast.

I Obtained it on a Local car parts' Store, is "UniPoint" Brand: http://www.unipoint.com.tw/

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
to add the web link.

When I took out the Honduran-Made double row Radiator, I Noticed that its paint was almost gone and had some scratches, as you can see below:

HonduranMadeRadiator.jpg

This is how it looked like after being in its place for more than ten years of non-stopping hard work

and it still worked fine, but I Took it to the Radiator Shop for Maintenance,

so they could check for Leaks and repair if needed.

This is How I Bolted-on the New Slim electric fan:

HPIM9691.jpg

I used two thin pieces of metal plate (1/2" wide X 1/8" thick, one on the left side and one on the right side)

between the radiator and the fan's mounts to act as a washer for the Screws and spacer for the fan at the same time.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
to add the blue measurements

Good Idea, Thanx!

I Really want to Remove those old stud bolts from the Waterpump's Pulley and install there standard screws, but other idea is to grind them down.

...the studs were shortened because the fan is no longer installed, and I didn’t want big ol’ long studs sticking out, so GD ground them down:

th_100_1753.jpg...

When I Asked if I could just Swap the Stud Bolts with Standard screws...

You probably could... cant see why not...

They are 6X1.25 IIRC. ... Pretty sure its 6X1.25 bolts... Dont see why they couldnt be replaced...

I really Don't see why not, but I Found that they are 6 X 1.00 Pitch, no 1.25.

The only thing I'm a little bit afraid is about the New Screws' deep size:

WaterpumpsPulley.jpg

Do you believe that if I install 6 X ¾ inch long Screws, will they Hit the Waterpump's back? ... How deep can I install screws there?

Heres my setup, sorry it took so long:

Closeup of the 3647 hayden fan controller

Electricfan2.jpg

Little further back, the loose blue wire is for the aux. fan and the green is for the A/C override..both of which I obiously haven't hooked up. You can also see the probe for sensing the temperature in the very bottom, center of the pic, a little silver tube thing with grey wires..Yes I lost my oil filler cap:banghead:

Electricfan.jpg

As much clearance as you can get for working on the front of the motor

Electricfan3.jpg

Because the fan is in front of the radiator

Electricfan4.jpg

I tried using a EA81 fan on mine, but because I lifted it 6+" it wouldn't fit. The studs for the old fan aren't a problem with no fan there!

Thank you for posting the Pictures. :)

I Can't put the Fan in front (to Push air) of the Radiator, because my BumbleBeast has a Working A/C, so there's the Condenser; I need to put it inside. (to pull Air)

Also, I see that you Hooked the Return Spring for the Weber Carb directly to the Radiator's frame; I hooked mine to the Power Steering's Metallic line, just to the Left of the connection nipple.

Well, back to Topic: you're using an independent Thermoswitch and Wiring, isn't it?

Your Setup Looks Good and simple, I like it!

Kind Regards.

Yes the hayden thermo switch isn't tied to the old 203F switch at all. Its its own unit. The fan I used is small enough, I really think I could have got it in there with the condenser.

Yeah the spring is a little half-rump roast, but it works. I put it on whatever I could to get the tension I wanted, I like a stiff gas pedal. I'll figure something out permanent later.

Thanks! Your BumbleBeast is a pretty sweet ride, especially after that 2" lift!

Josh

You can just cut the existing studs and chamfer the ends so the nuts will start easily. That's what I did in the picture that Stuart posted. I was installing a new WP and it came with studs. So I simply shortened them as needed. Cut with a hacksaw or band-saw, etc and then chamfer on a belt sander, etc.

If you want to use bolts - I would get a 6 x 1.0 x 10mm (that's 10mm thread length). That should be sufficient to anchor the pulley and not interfere with anything behind the WP.

The fan that we used on Stuart's Loyale is from an EA81 with air conditioning.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

• 2 months later...