Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1978 Ford Courier

Beautiful Pick-up! ... Looks Like New!

One of my Uncles had Two of Them, one was Brown and the other one was this exact green colour.

But both were 2000
(2.0L) in-Line four Cyl engines with Carburetor.

I Drove 'em many times, I Liked their Manual Transmission's Shifter, it has the Shortest Movement Shifter I've driven. Also their Stereo Cassette Players sounded Great.

Those aren't Ford, those are made by Mazda; so they're Japanese fords! :D

I Never heard about an engine option with Larger displacement than 2.0L for those cars, but maybe that limit was only for our Latin American market.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

think they made a diesel

edit

yes

http://darkforestcreature.com/Courier/Information.html

and drum-roll

"Between 1979 and 1982 a number of electric Ford Couriers were produced -- Jet Industries purchased "gliders" without engines, and put in a series DC motor and lead acid batteries, to produce the Jet Industries ElectraVan 750. These were sold mainly for service trucks to electric utilities and the like. They had a top speed around 70mph, and would go 50 to 60 miles on a full charge. A number of these are still around, usually with upgraded motor control systems and higher voltage battery packs."

Edited by bheinen74

think they made a diesel

edit

yes...

Yes, we have them here in my Country and the Diesel overweighted the Front Suspension, so they had many suspension and Steer problems; just like the isuzu Mark I.

That is the Reason why the Diesels from that era became impopular... but the Newer ones did Great.
(Reinforced Suspension with the New Facelift model)

Kind Regards. Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

...drum-roll

"Between 1979 and 1982 a number of electric Ford Couriers were produced -- Jet Industries purchased "gliders" without engines, and put in a series DC motor and lead acid batteries, to produce the Jet Industries ElectraVan 750. These were sold mainly for service trucks to electric utilities and the like. They had a top speed around 70mph, and would go 50 to 60 miles on a full charge. A number of these are still around, usually with upgraded motor control systems and higher voltage battery packs."

I've Never seen an Electric Courier Pick-up, just the Rotary engined, but all those Rotaries had been Swapped to in-Line 4 Cyl. Engines, due to two reasons: The Rotary felt gutless and the Lack of Spare engine parts & Lack of Knowledge about those Rotary engines.

Kind Regards.
Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Thanks ! I actually got really lucky when i found this, it was an old ladys before i bought it. Had 66k and was 100% stock. Except she painted it baby blue so i had it painted back to match the paint on the interior .And yep based off a Mazda and made by them but from 77-82 some had the Mazda 2.0l and some had the ford 2.3l (pinto) motor . Very fun little trucks . And darkforestcreature.com is actually Ford Courier Collector.com which is a forum I am apart of :D

I'll post a link here soon of a member who has a full thread about one of those electric couriers . They also made about 1500 factory 4x4's that are called sasquatchs .

• 2 weeks later...

Do you Like the New Ford Courier?

We have it here, in Latin America but I Don't know if it is avaliable in USA.

Look Here for the 2012 Model:

http://www.ford.com.mx/camiones/courier/conocelo/

This are Pics of the Older models:

courier_flex_021.jpg

ford-courier-2009-04.jpg

Yes, Four Cyl. Turbo Diesels are avaliable too.

Kind Regards.

This reminds me of the truck one of my coworkers owns. Ford and Mazda colaborated on this truck, but IMHO, the mazda version is way cooler because it came with a rotary engine.

1742007_600.jpg

This is not his, but the one owned by my coworker has a 13B engine from a Turbo II RX7 swapped in with the addition of a 7" supercharger. What a sweet truck that is! :drunk:

Yes, is the Same but Older Model.

That Ford Courier came here Also named as "Mazda Sundowner"

Short time after that, it became the Mazda B2000...

...and Continued sales with that name untill 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_B-Series#Fourth_generation_.281978.E2.80.931985.29

Here you can see the Life timespan for the Ford Courier Name:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Courier

The "Made in Brazil" one is Still in Production with that name: Ford Courier...

That's the model we have in Latin America.

Kind Regards. :burnout:

Ahh the rotarys. i love those so much ! i know where one sits in this guys yard a couple miles from my house. thought about talking to him about it. and there this one thats around the corner from me. idk if its still there but this one is sweet. i think he has some motor work done to it. hence all the honda and vw stickers and the spoiler lol oh and the license plate: RTRYRKT=ROTARY ROCKET :D

2acbd200.jpg

6eb6b065.jpg

My buddy and I owned a beat old one a few months ago that was the Mazda diesel 2.2, and somebody in the past had converted the front headlights to the ford courier round style

Cool old trucks, I'd love a nice one of the old diesel 2.2's

We also owned a Datsun 720 diesel pickup after that which had a 2.2 also

they were nice in different ways had their better points

but I liked the isuzu pup turbo diesel 4X4 the best!

Wow this brings back some memories. My dad had one for a company truck about 10 years ago. It started life as a U-haul. When we got it, it had no back bed and it would do burnouts like no one's business :burnout: We sold it a while after putting a wooden bed on it. They funny thing is the truck survived our New England winters, and now resides about 10 miles away from our home.

Great trucks. I'm glad to see one in good condition, and that's being taken care of still.

Actually, that is his truck! Wow, small world.

Ahh the rotarys. i love those so much ! i know where one sits in this guys yard a couple miles from my house. thought about talking to him about it. and there this one thats around the corner from me. idk if its still there but this one is sweet. i think he has some motor work done to it. hence all the honda and vw stickers and the spoiler lol oh and the license plate: RTRYRKT=ROTARY ROCKET :D

• 2 weeks later...