Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Originally posted by mdryan

Does anyone have any good ideas for removing wrist pins on a EJ25 motor?

I gotta believe there's a better way than what's shown in Haynes.

Thanks

Mark

There's a special tool for that task:

ST 499097700 PISTON PIN REMOVER

Let me know if you want an electronic copy (pdf) of the portion of the factory service manual that deals with engine disassembly.

You have to use a hooked tool and a slide hammer, or the Subaru tool, to remove the wrist pins through the side of the block in order to separate teh halves of the block. You can't get it apart unless you do this. Also the wrist pins are a full floating pin; they are not pressed into anything, however they get carbon build up on the exposed parts, making them difficult to remove.

I'll say they can get stuck. I spent a few hours using various hooked devices then I went to the local rental place and got a slide hammer with an internally expanding jaw and whack whack, I'm done.

Thanks for the post.

I made a hook tool from a allen head bolt , that was the thread size of my slide hammmer adapter. ground off part of head so it would fit inside the wrist pin,tipped at a angle so it would catch ID of pin and go for it! Sometimes you don't ever need the hammer

put a small socket, about the same size or slightly smaller than the pin on one side and another with the inside diameter that is larger than the pin on the other side. Use a c clamp to press it out. Just like doing u joints on a driveline.