Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wiring diagram needed. 1.8 gl 83. under the hood wiring

I have a wiring diagram for a 1984 GL, I could scan it for you.

Maybe one of the members here knows if the two years have similar wiring.

:edited to add

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-SUBARU-1400-1800-SERVICE-MANUAL-ENGINE-BODY-/290554205957#ht_739wt_1032

The Service Manuals have wiring diagrams, and vacuum hose diagrams.

Edited by mkoch

I have a digital copy of the up to 1989 service manual. let me find a link to one online and I will get back to you. there is a section on the home page where members have posted all this stuff, but I think it is a little tough to find.

Here it is: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=978071#post978071

you can get her from the home page by:

-click older gen link

-at very top of page there is an announcement for endwrench articles, click this

-follow the link to the thread page

Read through these thoroughly. I found enough info on EA82 engines and cars to make 6 1.5" binders of double sided paper that I use as my manuals today.

Also, on this page, there are some diagrams you may find useful http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=121283&page=24 although you have a carbed model I'm sure and this is for a FI model.

Come to think of it, do you have an EA81 or an EA82? I can't remember what year they switched over. Never the less, there is plenty of info in the first link for both.

Edited by The FNG

It is important to note that not ever plug on a harness will have something to plug into. Some are for accesories you don't have. Some are for diagnostic purposes, etc. If it looks dirty inside like it's never been connected to anything - chances are that it hasn't and doesn't need to be.

The additional temp switch in the radiator is for models equipped with AC. If you don't have AC then it could be a used radiator from a model that did, etc.

GD

it is important to note that not ever plug on a harness will have something to plug into. Some are for accesories you don't have. Some are for diagnostic purposes, etc. If it looks dirty inside like it's never been connected to anything - chances are that it hasn't and doesn't need to be.

The additional temp switch in the radiator is for models equipped with ac. If you don't have ac then it could be a used radiator from a model that did, etc.

Gd

yes my car has ac. So i would trace the ac fan wire just as i would the cooling fan wiring and temp switch,

im still leaning towards running a toggle switch for my thrm-switch. Prev. Owner cut ground from top of radiator and having a hard time tracing it.

yes my car has ac. So i would trace the ac fan wire just as i would the cooling fan wiring and temp switch,

im still leaning towards running a toggle switch for my thrm-switch. Prev. Owner cut ground from top of radiator and having a hard time tracing it.

you can ground that radiator to any ground you want. straight to the ground on the battery would work too.

ground is ground. ground it to a good frame grounding point or to the block... or....

thats what i as thinking. A ground is a ground.

now to trace it, should i start at the yellow wire plugged into the therm-switch and follow that back.

just confused on the wiring. (rad/fan)

hot ground

l l therm/switch?

l L_____l

fuse/box

THIS IS HOW I PICTURE IT?

thats what i as thinking. A ground is a ground.

now to trace it, should i start at the yellow wire plugged into the therm-switch and follow that back.

just confused on the wiring. (rad/fan)

hot ground

l l therm/switch?

l L_____l

fuse/box

THIS IS HOW I PICTURE IT?

oh wow that didnt work like i drew it.

ok i installed my toggle swittch for the radiator fan, now if try grounding the radiator, just to see if it will fuction as its supposed to, will i have issues with my toggle switch.

the thing is i never had to add a ground in order to run my fan off the toggle

i ran a hot from the battery to my toggle then a hot from my toggle to the hot on the fan, but i didnt disconnect the existing wiring just linked into the hot.

so im wondering if the radiator is already grounded out.

if so then why wont it kick on as its supposed to.

bad thermo switch?

i might just leave the toggle switch.

thank subaru for pre manufactured toggle switch holes