Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Legacy Turbo Clutch replacement...

I Found a 1992 Legacy Turbo. Its a 5spd AWD and it has a bad clutch. How difficult would it be to replace the cluch on these things? I'm used to smaller engines like the Subaru EA81 and the 8.5" clutches they use. How much larger are these clutches? and how much harder is it to replace them?

Would it be easier to drop the transmission or lift the engine?

-Brian

Originally posted by TheSubaruJunkie

I Found a 1992 Legacy Turbo. Its a 5spd AWD and it has a bad clutch. How difficult would it be to replace the cluch on these things? I'm used to smaller engines like the Subaru EA81 and the 8.5" clutches they use. How much larger are these clutches? and how much harder is it to replace them?

Would it be easier to drop the transmission or lift the engine?

-Brian

There's really nothing unique about Subaru clutch replacement. There's more work involved to get access to the clutch due to the AWD, however.

How high can you lift the car? This will determine whether it's easier to drop the trans. or pull the engine. If you can raise the car a few feet off the ground, I'd drop the trans. It'll be faster than removing and reinstalling the engine plumbing/electricals (which may be more complicated than those of my naturally-aspirated engine).

Does it have air conditioning ? if it does it would be easier to remove the transmission, the only problem you might come across is releasing the exhaust nuts/bolts around the turbo due to the way they seize with the heat.

DaveH