Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 71 interesting engine block ID #

Anybody else beside Todd have an EA71 block with the letter "M" at the end of the ID number ?

Mine is something like 47200M - yes a very even number that also caught my eye , but Todd's is from the same source and his is a random bunch of numbers. Anyways .....

Mine is a narrow case , external water passage engine. Pretty sure Todd's is too.

Any idea what this code might mean?

These blocks came from SOA's main joint in south Jersey. :brow:

OK . stopping in quick while home. Speak , tell , talk .... is the cam in my "M" engine HOT ?? :D What's in an "M" ? :brow:

I really need to go over timing ,etc. I rushed a bit to get it off the rental property before they raise the rent. First ran smooth , then shut it off and it ran choppy when restarted. I moved the disty around to find hapiness but had no time to properly check timing. Also need to go over the valve adjutments - no biggie Jesse.

If I didn't know how off the timing is ,etc. etc. I'd say it has a lumpy cam. :-p

Impressive!!! Will get back to this when not at work. Need cold shower now.

Can you find cam specs?

I'm not 100% Sure yet, but I Believe this engine belongs to another USMB Friend...

I already sent a PM to him, so I'll wait for his Answer.

If that is his Engine, I'll kindly ask him to post more info about it here.

Kind Regards.

About the Special High Performance (Racing) EA Twin Carb engine...

Here you got Pics to see:

SafariRallySubaru.jpg

safariengine.jpg

Here, as part of a Japanese Brochure:

safari-1.jpg

Close View of the Engine in that Pic:

safari-2.jpg

Seems like That engine was Tested in a Hatchback too:

Safari1.jpg

The "Urban Legend" Says that the Safari Rally RX's were Sold from Japan, one of them is actually in New Zealand:

safari-4.jpg

safari-3.jpg

According to the Friends at Ausubaru.com.

Kind Regards.

Pooparu wrote that he purchased that engine from e-Bay...

I bought this set up off of ebay a couple of years ago. I think I traded it to Bill for some stuff. It also came with some sweet racing valve springs too. This was a set up for a quad weber unit (very expensive and rare to find) so I bagged it. I'm sure Bill still has it in his stash somewhere.

Here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127197&page=41

I Already asked for more info about it.

Kind Regards.

Earl , WTF ??? :-p:D

So what the heck do I have here? It seems to behave like it has a lumpy cam. Haven't had much time to set timing and go back over everything but I do have the old points and air gap set right. No time for any of this fun lately. I have the timing gun and am ready to shoot soon , but now what degree am I timing it to? :popcorn: I'm short three carbs not and even when I do get my dual carb setup rigged apparently I'll stil be short two carbs and none of what I have will be Weber either. :o

tsk tsk .....should of threw that used longblock in ....

• 2 weeks later...
no other info but its a short block right now so im going to measure the movement of the lifters in a rotation both intake and exhost and see what the lift is . if someone has a normal 1600 short block maybe we can get them to measure them as well at least then we could compair the two....

THANKS !!!!!!

Should have asked Todd but I know he's very very busy.

REally needthis info since I'm going to try to spend some time today going over the timing and valves.

ok so i tried my best to get a good reading on intake and exhaust valves. here is what i found

m motor

intake had a lift of .205

exhaust had a lift of .209.

now my findings were proabably a bit off by as much as .005.

i think ill be splitting the block on the m motor to repalce the cam sprocket since it got hammered in the shipping process. so ill spec the cam out fully then. anyway if you have oem cam specs in a FSM maybe that will give us an idea or at least let us know if i was way out of the ball park...

• 5 weeks later...