Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Kinda fell in my lap...

Ive been looking for another subaru lately. Not to replace the 84, but to use as my daily driver while i rebuild the 84. Ive been searching AutoTrader, Cars.com and even Yahoo and eBay but couldnt really find what I wanted. Then my friend suggested I look at Craigslist.com, so I did. And what did I find?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/car/26184280.html

So I call the dude, and go and look at it. It drove great, but the body is alittle beat up. He had new tires put on and said he wanted to put new springs in the back to clear them.

The downside is it has a failing clutch. I was able to drive it around the block, but didnt get it above 40. It had no problem climbing through 3 gears and acted as if there was absolutly no turbo lag.

He also told me he's asking $1500 for it. He said he's planning on replacing the clutch and the suspension and then the price will rise. I was thinking of getting it from him while its cheap, and doing the work myself, but not sure what im getting myself into.

The car is sweet though. Fully loaded, 5spd, AWD. Black with alittle body damage (dents & dings, scratches) and the hood is primered.

I told him i'd come and take a look at it tomorrow afternoon when its light out.

-Brian

Be patient and look harder. If soobs are rare down there, fly up here, buy a runner for $400 and drive it home. Heck, I'd consider selling mine for $1500 and it runs great, no body damage, etc. I have seen lifted soobs with all the trail mods and mud tires for sale on the USMB for less than he wants.

Let him gouge somebody else. Keep looking. His is a little newer, but not worth that much more.

i'd say pass on it and look around some more.. hell ride greyhound out here, buy my 89' hatch and drive it home, lol you'd still spend less than that..

lots of soobs around that need a little work and can be had for alot less than that.. kinda like the 2wd auto 88' wagon here thats mint inside and out, just needs a trans.. $350.. another auto trans can be had cheap.. hell even a 5-speed can be had cheap.. in fact i have a 2wd turbo 5-speed sittin here.. lol (why i haven't gone to get that wagon is beyond me)..

look some more, you'll find one..

I know... i dont quite think you guys know what you are talking about. This isnt a measily EA82T. This is the full fledged EJ22T mated to a 5spd AWD Tranny, with a complete 2.5 exhaust and new tires. Body damage means nothing to me.

I have a lead on plenty of other subaru's. Jeremy (subieman)'s hatch is available to me, and its the most straight EA81 ive ever seen.

But this Legacy is my dream car. Its in my price range and it drives real good. I will see it in the light today, and if I like what i see (ie... no cracked CV Joint boots, no smoke in the exhaust) then i will be forced to get it.

-Brian

brian and caleb are right.

legacys and imprezas from that era are twice the cars than the underpowered, gas guzzling slugs of the EA series. these rides are much more refined and you dont have to go searching through junkyards to find parts for them. an added plus is: on the 90s cars theres (guess what ?!?!) no BS lifter ticks, one timing belt, doors that actually close right and a lesser chance of being eaten alive by rust.

the 2.2L is a great engine and probably one of the best. the EJ22T is even better - though its a different beast comapared to its NA cousin. id go after it for what hes asking but lowball him first...if he doesnt bite, jump with both feet and step out of "the dark ages"

Originally posted by TheSubaruJunkie

But this Legacy is my dream car. Its in my price range and it drives real good. I will see it in the light today, and if I like what i see (ie... no cracked CV Joint boots, no smoke in the exhaust) then i will be forced to get it.

-Brian

OK, I didn't know that;) If that is what U really want then for that price I say GO FOR IT! I just thought U wer seteling on the 1st Leg. U found.

you might want to check into your price for the clutch kit.

it is specific to the Legacy turbo, and is usually fairly expensive even when you can find one.

Yes...getting the tranny off the car is a bitch, but i wouldn't pull it..

It's like 100 times easier to pull the motor forward a couple inches and slide the clutch in. Pulling the tranny when you don't have a hoist is PITA!

the trick with this tranny is the pin for the clutch fork. You need to remove the starter, and there is a pin which you thread a 6MM bolt into, then pry the entire pin and bolt out.

The Legacy Turbo uses a PULL type clutch. that is why.

BTW...your gonna find these things are a PIG!

Nope, actually found 4 or 5 legacys that i checked out. Most were 2WD and Auto's.... this was the only 5spd AWD sedan i could find, and i just couldnt help myself.

Cant wait to get a new clutch in it. Also... the front end wanders when you turn right. Seems like something might be bent up front. Tires are new, rims are trashed and will be replaced.

-Brian

Originally posted by Do It Sidewayz

you might want to check into your price for the clutch kit.

it is specific to the Legacy turbo, and is usually fairly expensive even when you can find one.

Yes...getting the tranny off the car is a bitch, but i wouldn't pull it..

It's like 100 times easier to pull the motor forward a couple inches and slide the clutch in. Pulling the tranny when you don't have a hoist is PITA!

the trick with this tranny is the pin for the clutch fork. You need to remove the starter, and there is a pin which you thread a 6MM bolt into, then pry the entire pin and bolt out.

The Legacy Turbo uses a PULL type clutch. that is why.

BTW...your gonna find these things are a PIG!

What? Ask any of the people that have followed my '92 Turbo Legacy. BTW, mine is a wagon and auto.

I have no problem keeping up with my buddy in his Impreza. Corners or straight aways, doen't matter.

The clutch can be expensive, there are many different types to choose from. You may want to suck it up and buy a higher end clutch kit. A sport clutch is a good diea with these if you plan to drive it hard. If you are going to pull the motor make sure you do the T-belt while it is out. Unless you got somekind of documentation stating that it has been replaced I think it is a good bit of insurance.

Good snag Brian. I noticed that the craig.list had stated the price was $1200.

Brian, make sure to use the cruise on the highway. They seem to have a soft spot for 80 mph. I find mine there all the time. :brow:

i'm saying PIG in terms of weight.

they don't like to be thrown around too much, without a good suspension set-up.

I know this, because we have a 91 Legacy Turbo 5-spd as an ice racer.

Doesn't handle all that well stock.

Find a set of struts and springs from a 2.5 RS and you are golden though.

You will find that the 3000+ LB weight will start hurting you.

The car is a pig right now cause the clutch wont grab. Kinda sucks, but i bet it will be night and day when i get that new clutch. Found one on the Legacy Central board for a 2.2T and it'll cost $243 to have it send to my door. Should have it here this weekend. Might try to locate a mechanic that will install it for me, or just suck it up and do it myself. Leaning more toward leaving the tranny and engine in, and tilting the motor out of the way.

Also... the car is a canadian car. So everything is in KM/h. Its going to be hard to keep it at the speed limit, when it looks like my speedo sais im cruising at 110. Also, the mileage is in KM/h as well, so it only has 262,000km on it, whatever that is in Miles :) I think its like 140k or 150k miles.

Pix:

LegacyTurbo_009.jpg

And tons more here in my album:

http://usmb.net/gallery/album205

Looks kinda beat up, cause it is. Car looks like it was the dude's fun-toy or something. The entire belly of the car is filled and covered with mud underneith. Checked, and no VLSD :(

-Brian

nope 1991 was the only year with the VLSD.

1991 also had the better motor.

1991 had the Closed deck block, with Forged Internals (rods, pistons, crank), and oil Squirters.

1992 got that crappier parts ;)

BTW..if you look any of the part #'s for that stuff up they come up exactly the same

Can replace the clutch without removing the tranny, you'll never get enough room. I'm sure you read my e-mail since I got your reply. This clutch is not as easy as a normal Legacy. I glad to see that you got it, once you get a good clutch in the car, you'll really love it.

Do it sidewayz, you have some incorrect info...

LSD was standard in 91, very rare option on later years.

All years had closed deck, oil squirters, forged internals. No differences in motors between years. (why would Subaru do this for only one year?) No wonder the part numbers are the same, THE PARTS ARE THE SAME!!!