Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Kinda fell in my lap...

carfreak...trust me man..i've had these motors apart.

Also.. why do you think that the 1991 Legacy had a different grill, corner lights, tail lights. that kinda thing.

if you look up the part #'s for these cars engine parts, they aren't forged.

BTW. there is enough room to change the clutch by just sliding the motor forward. You need to remove the rad. I did it about 3 months ago

Sideways,

I just looked the parts up to veirfy and they call for the same part numbers for 91-92. While your information may apply to Canadian models or whatever. I am of the understanding that the 2.2 turbo's are all closed deck engines with forged internals and oil squirters. That is why they seem to last so long and there are not that many for sale. They just last.

Do it sidewayz, the 91 and 92 cars all have the same front ends (lights, grills, turnsignals). The 92 has differnet tail lights from the 91s. The front end was changed in 93 to the better lights, etc. The tail lights changed again. The front end stayed the same for 94 but the tail lights changed again. So there are two different models of BF legacys. the 91-92 and the 93-94s. Trust me, I know this stuff.

Hmm, cuz I've always heard the legacies as 90-91 and 92-94...

Good find Brian.. You should be able to just swap in a US gauge cluster to get MPH. Not quite sure, but I think that 55 is about 88 km/h.

As far as I kow, the Legacy Turbos at least the US models didn't have a boost light, so I think you are good with a non-turbo cluster, just get a manual cluster, cuz the auto clusters have the thinger that tells you what gear you are in.

hmm..interesting..

this is my friends 1991 Legacy Turbo

02.jpg

and this is another club members 1992 Legacy Turbo

01.jpg

different headlights, side markers, turn signals are no longer in the bumper (moved to fender infront of doors)

and 1991 Leg Turbo Taillights

02.jpg

and the 1992 tails

02.jpg

check the VIN on the car in the first pic. dont think its 91. Legacy777 should be able to settle this. the tail light pics are correct. The pics of the 92 car is what I know to be true, but the first pic is a 93-94 car and the first tail light pic is a 91 car. But will you agree with me and Qman that the engines are the same for all years?

quote--------------------

I got a '92 Subaru Legacy RARE turbo. 265k miles, motor still runs strong. 5 speed manual, 4 dr, passed smog with flying colors. New tires, fuel pump, 2.5 inch exhaust all the way through, flowmaster, K&N, new clutch slave cylinder.

-------------------------

Hm, 265K miles?

Originally posted by TheSubaruJunkie

PARTS!!! Definatly. Anyone know if the rear ends on the 92 SS and the 90 L are the same?

-Brian

The housings are close to the same. (both R160's) Other than that I think most of the turbos were 3.90's with LSD's and the L's were 4.11's with open rears. But as long as the gears are the same you could use an L rearend.

All these pics really make me want to get mine back on the road.:(

Yeah, 162k on the clock... not bad at all. Took it to my mechanic today on my lunch break and dropped it off. He quoted me $950 parts and labor for the clutch. So i'll be picking it up tomorrow and hopefully he'll have it ready by lunchtime :)

the parts car, is a 2WD so i guess i wont be getting anything off of it... but i will be in replacing suspension parts soon.

-Brian