BOSS 2" EA82 Lift Kits- $100!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've got an 87 Gl-10 with a still functioning Pneumatic Height control system in it. Is this lift the kind of thing i should look into once it starts giving me trouble (i hear its inevitable...) or can the 2" lift work with it?

My 2" lift will work with it while it is still working, all that is required is you will have to drill a hole in each front strut  top-plate to run the air hose through.  

When the air struts finally give out you'll want to replace them or your ride quality will suck.

-Bill

so lets say right now when i push the height control button, the car lifts 2". if i get the lift, would the car normally cruise at 2" higher than stock and then 4" higher than stock with the height control engaged, or will it just always ride 2" higher than stock? In the case of the potentially 4" higher than stock scenario, would that necessitate lowering the engine etc?

I believe that when the suspension is in high mode it rides the same height as one that has springs instead of air struts, and when the suspension is in low mode it is actually 2" lower than a normal one, but I'm not 100% on that. There is one person here I can think of who put a 2" lift on an XT6 with air suspension and it all seemed to work perfect for him, if I remember right the username was grossgary, you might PM them and ask if they had any issues, I believe he used an SJR kit, which lowered the crossmember 1". 

-Bill

• Like 1

I've got an 87 Gl-10 with a still functioning Pneumatic Height control system in it. Is this lift the kind of thing i should look into once it starts giving me trouble (i hear its inevitable...) or can the 2" lift work with it?

this is on an AWD XT6 which already has decent ground clearance and Canadian models come with height control as well, may be worse off than your wagon.

i've installed lifts on XT6's with air suspension and got surprising results - it caused the rear air struts to leak on mine.  the odd thing is the rear air struts are sealed up top by the bushings on the strut mounts which the strut rod passes through.  the shaft comes out of the strut, through the bushings, and those seal the top of the strut where that rod comes out.

i suppose it put enough strain/torque on those bushings that air leaks out. i tried different struts, took them all apart, cleaned them all up, reassembled, reinstalled and still the same thing. then i bought new Subaru bushings (they were surprisingly inexpensive) and installed them and still had the same thing.  since then i've bought some high quality aircraft or marine grade sealant - Sikaflex to hopefully seal all the bushings, but with the strut rod moving through the middle of them that won't seal with a sealant....so i'm unsure it will work.

since then, during all the experimenting over the years, i've simply ran front air struts (with holes drilled as he said for the lift) and rear coil over struts.