Ultimate Subaru Message Board

adjusting valves on 99 forester sohc

I did it after I replaced the timing belt. Yes it is pretty easy, valve covers come off, then with the little timing belt cover piece removed from the piece behind the coolant overflow tank, you can see the arrows on the cam sprocket. At noon, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock corresponds to different piston positions, I forget exactly which is what when, but basically at each position, whichever valves have a little play in them means they are relaxed and are fair game for the clearance check. Then after adjusting you are supoosed to make a couple revolutions on the engine and recheck. Just turn the crank pulley bolt with a 22mm socket and long ratchet. Just don't forget to take it off before starting!!!!!!!!

You'll be really be working your abs on this one so be prepared.

You can also stick a screwdriver through the spark plug hole to confirm TDC.

Intake valves tend to loosen up over time while exhaust valves tend to tighten due to higher rates of cam/rocker wear and valve seat wear, respectively. If you confirm this is indeed the case with your engine, adjust intake valves to the lowest specified limit and exhaust valves to the highest specified limit. Specified ranges should be on a sticker on the underside of your hood.

Also order up a new set of valve cover gaskets and spark plug well seals.

You can PM me and I'll send you a pdf. of the procedure from the FSM.

Edited by hohieu
clarity