Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Legacy lift complete! (OB spring/strut swap)

Surfed the forums for a while making sure everything would work-here's the finished product. Swapped in OB springs & stuts & some stock OB wheels & tires on my 02 Legacy 5 sp.

IMG_9331-1.jpg

IMG_8086.jpg

We'll see how everything holds up long term-I'll report on any issues. Right now it looks like I may need to swap in the rear OB sway bar too-it's at kind of a funky angle. Any body else that has done this swap experience any funky issues?

You just need the rear brackets to lower the sway bar.

The links? I'll have to track those down.

As for the handling...it's never going to be the go cart it was. I think it was 5" off the ground before! But, the utility & snoworthieness will be fun to test! Had her out on some logging roads today the added clearance was awesome, & it seemed to soak up the bumps nicely.

Looks like I may need to change my spare too. It's a 135/70/16, the OB has 135/80/16 on it. Would driving on a short term/emergency situation on the current spare be a terrible idea, or should I look for the new size pronto?

Anybody know what I could get for the 4 steel 15" wheels w/decent tires?

Edited by Mike-D
missed quote

• 8 months later...

One thing to remember, the outback is just a legacy with spacers/slightly taller springs and a little bit of a "strut tube" extension. Your CV axles may wear slightly faster if didnt use the Outback cross member spacers, but in all honestly i dont see you having ANY issues

The brake issue, see how your car stops before throwing $ at upgrading calipers/pad bracket/rotors etc. Remember us older gen guys are running bigger tires than you, on 12 inch single pot brake calipers and some with drum brakes in the rear.

You know your car better than anyone, get up to 80 mph and do some emergency braking and see how she handles. I imagine it will be just fine.

Oh and for the sway bar bracket, it should be bolt on. We just did the outback conversion to a 91 EJ22T SS and the rear came off with 2x12mm bolts. If yours isnt removeable, find a gen 1 Outback and unbolt the rear brackets and weld them onto your crossmember

Word I have a friend with a gl wagon fat lift and swampers no brake upgrades... All im saying is it can be an issue but your right know your car! Obviously someone with swampers and small brakes shouldnt tail gate...

Just something to keep in mind ceramic pads would most likely make up for large tires.

Im not into retail and am pro junk yard! Reuse reduce reuse! I snagged a set of kybgr2 shocks/springs from a 98ob limited wagon, half off at picknpull yesterday, $15 pershock after core return. My 96 250k+ L shocks are sagging in the back.