Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tappet Rappet

Hi Gang,

Same ole' story here. Noisy tappet (lifter).

One thing I'd like to add though. I did the MMO and a couple

of oil changes. The rap-rap goes from a tic-tic to a real loud

hammering. Driving by a concrete wall with the window down is almost scary! Interesting thing that I've noted.....

when cruising at highway speeds and the lifter has quieted down, then I get a pronounced preignition from the engine.

Like a baby rattle shaken vigourously. When the tappet returns, the rattle goes away!

The tapping doesn't bother me so much as the cycle of real loud hammering that sounds like the side of the block is getting knocked out. My plan is to just replace that whole bank of lifters on that one side. Oil pressure is good and here're some specs.

1987 GL-10, fuel injected automatic with a measly 135k on the motor.

My other 1987 went 250k and never had a a tap at all!

Any ideas on the preignition thing?

Thanks,

Paul

I had the same thing going on. I went into the bank that made the noise and it was obvious which lifter was bad. The lifter had very little resistance when pushed on. I replaced it and rebuilt the oil pump. Works great now. :banana:

if lifters are noisy then they are probably not opening the valves enough. bet it cant breath.

have you resealed the pump yet? that does the trick a lot of the time. it may have pressure but it gets air sucked in at the pump.

good to see another local here I am in san jo so if you need help with parts or whatever look me up.

Last December.............pulled engine, changed out lifters, resealed oil pump.

Now, 3k miles later........the tapping is coming back! (I used all Subaru dealer parts, BTW). I even changed the oil and filter 3 times in that period.

I am trying the MMO that has been suggested here many times; but I don't have much faith in "snake-oil" remedies............time will tell.

These engines will run a long time with the "death-rattle" (lifters, lash adjusters, cam followers; take your pick)............I let mine go for 14 months and 18k!

I lost mileage and power, but it never failed.

While oil changes may help, it's the lack of maint. before you get the car (the dreaded PO) that you can't reverse.............that and the top-end oiling system is precarious on it's best days.

With 135k, you may be due for timing belts anyway.........good time to do the pump seals..............it can be done "in-car", but it's a LOT easier with it out on the bench, IMHO.