Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What Engine is an Interference Engine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigjim5551212

bigjim5551212

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Vancouver Canada

Posted 16 March 2004 - 10:53 AM

So my buddy bought this 2004 WRX from the insurance co. The timing gears on the passenger side were broken off:burnout: we havent taken anything apart yet. Can someone say and point out OFFICIALLY and not just hearsay if this motor is interference or not?:)

#2 ferret

ferret

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 16 March 2004 - 12:14 PM

Every WRX is an Interference, as well as ALL 2.5L, and all 2.2L built since 1999 (more acute valve angle on late build 2.2L).
In otherwords, Every Subaru engine built since 1999 IS. I don't like it, so please don't shoot the messenger. (wish I had my ol' 1990 2.2L in my Forester):)

#3 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 16 March 2004 - 04:00 PM

The WRX is turbocharged, nes pas? So I doubt the piston can collide with the valves. However, any double camshaft engine can bash intake and exhaust valves into eachother. Usually far less serious.

#4 pacific_import_auto

pacific_import_auto

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Tacoma, Washington

Posted 19 March 2004 - 11:36 PM

Any of the DOHC Engines (1996-1999 2.5L engines, and all of the turbo engines from 1995-current) are interference engines (Intake Valves can hit exhaust valves, and Valves can hit the pistons). Any of the Phase 2 Engines (1999 or Newer) are also interference engines in the way that the valves can hit the pistons.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users