Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch questions

Freds404

I just put a 5spd DR behind my EA81 and I'm running 28" tires resulting in a overly slippery clutch. I'm running the EA81 pressure plate and flywheel with the 8-7/8", 24 spline disc for the 5 speed.

When I mounted thepressure plate on the flywheel the fingers depressed in and became almost flat. is this normal?

Any recommendations for a more powerful clutch?

If you didn't have the EA81 flywheel ground down to suit the EA82 clutch you'll have clamping problems.

GeneralDisorder knows the amount that needs to be machined off the flywheel, I've forgotten and have only read about it - but it's a must!

Cheers

Bennie

GD said run XT6 bits. I have the clutch disc already, will order a new pressure plate (Exedy 15009), but I am looking into options for my flywheel. GD said teh XT6 step is .815".

I just went to my scrap Subaru pile and broke apart an EA82 engine from a 4spd DR transmission (I know, worst combination ever but it came in a parts Brat for $350). How do I know what flywheel I just pulled out of it, EA81 or 82? It excepts the 8-7/8" disc and has a .845" step. Around the outside of the clutch contact surface against the shoulder there is a step like it has been resurfaced.

Will this work or am I better off getting the EA81 resurfaced to my new specs?