Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cut the roof off... make a roadster/pickup out of it.

That is unusual damage... I concur the sentiment to 'roadster' it!

zzz

Inspiration from another thread:

Can someone say Jurassic Park style! Probably one of the best Outbacks I've seen.

P5090184.jpg

P5090185.jpg

... and another picture I found:

DSCN2648.jpg

• 11 months later...

Glad you or no one else got hurt. Thoughts of cutting off the top to create a roadster may have some merrit. Someone posted a wagon, with the roof cut off behind the driver to create sort of a pick up truck. A roll bar could be fabricated at the B pillar, and roof sheet metal brought back to connect to the roll bar. Might work out great! When you have a lemon, turn it into lemon ade

So sad for the Outback, but the Most important thing is that You're Alright, Glad to read that you was able to Walk away, right after That.

You can see this event as an opportunity, Because that Outback could became a Beautiful Project car: Imagine it as a Pick up, or even as Donor car to do the "EJ Swap" over an Old School EA Subie...

There could be somehow 'endless' project posibilities, but the Good thing is that you're OK.

Kind Regards.

can anyone read this?

Ouch btw.

can anyone read this?

The default forum style used to have a dark grey background. 2.7 Loyale used to post with this colour font and thus it's hard to read now. I highlight it to read it, much easier ;) He's since changed his font colour too!

As for the roll over, I don't know why people are disgusted at the damage - that stands well in my book - if it didn't move then the momentum that the vehicle has would be fully transferred to the occupants thus throwing them around with the potential for real injury. Try doing that in an L series and see who comes off the worst...

Best of luck on the replacement/build - which ever route you decide to go down ;)

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

The default forum style used to have a dark grey background. 2.7 Loyale used to post with this colour font and thus it's hard to read now. I highlight it to read it, much easier ;) He's since changed his font colour too!

As for the roll over, I don't know why people are disgusted at the damage - that stands well in my book - if it didn't move then the momentum that the vehicle has would be fully transferred to the occupants thus throwing them around with the potential for real injury. Try doing that in an L series and see who comes off the worst...

Best of luck on the replacement/build - which ever route you decide to go down ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Yeah the nature of the accident was especially rough on the roof because it rolled down an embankment and LANDED on that corner. I had also recently healed up from a broken left collar bone, felt like I had shin-splints in it for a few weeks after that (seatbelt directly over that shoulder).

And the car's long gone, I only had it a couple months after I rolled it. The motor had 250,000 on it and now resides in my sisters Legacy. She has since put 24,000 miles on it. Darn good engines them EJ22s...

• Like 1

Yeah the nature of the accident was especially rough on the roof because it rolled down an embankment and LANDED on that corner. I had also recently healed up from a broken left collar bone, felt like I had shin-splints in it for a few weeks after that (seatbelt directly over that shoulder).

And the car's long gone, I only had it a couple months after I rolled it. The motor had 250,000 on it and now resides in my sisters Legacy. She has since put 24,000 miles on it. Darn good engines them EJ22s...

I just figured out that this original post was 11/11, over a year ago. Upon my first read, I thought this was a new post. Now, I see the car is long gone, but the motor lives on in your sister's Leggie. I agree the EJ22 is a darn good engine. There has not been a more reliable Subie engine built since the EJ22. I have a 95 EJ22 transplanted into my 98 OBW with 50K miles. I figure the motor will last another 150K miles.

• 2 years later...

Really?

An EJ22 hauled that weight around, reliably?

Now I feel better about the treatment it's getting in my Impreza (98) :-D

I just figured out that this original post was 11/11, over a year ago. Upon my first read, I thought this was a new post. Now, I see the car is long gone, but the motor lives on in your sister's Leggie. I agree the EJ22 is a darn good engine. There has not been a more reliable Subie engine built since the EJ22. I have a 95 EJ22 transplanted into my 98 OBW with 50K miles. I figure the motor will last another 150K miles.

id look for something like this and put their body on your car if youve kept it in good shape.

i just saw this the other week.

i have one exactly like yours (99) and it was run over a curb. the body and interior

were fine it has the nicer black red and blue (?) interior

but its been a problem getting it straightened out. needed a new spindle bearing

and now rear differential but it runs great. :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171674084667?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

'97

if i had to have the car i would strap it to something on the drivers side down low and try a come along to pull the right side up high and attempt to bend it back then plexiglass the windows get a cheapo windshield and glue the hell out of it to get it in there and drive. ive seen worst cars driving around before. glad you were ok.

Edited by sirtokesalot

if i had to have the car i would strap it to something on the drivers side down low and try a come along to pull the right side up high and attempt to bend it back then plexiglass the windows get a cheapo windshield and glue the hell out of it to get it in there and drive. ive seen worst cars driving around before. glad you were ok.

That was somewhat of a possibility but just after it happened her motor got a burnt valve so we just swapped my motor in. Still on the road pushing 280,xxx miles. My sister really loves that car. It got her home from work despite the terrible conditions these past couple days and has always been reliable. That's more than can be said about anything else she's had.