Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey, guess what? I got a legacy!!!

Here’s the only picture I got of it so far: I know it's bad, but better than noth'en:

th_Legacy.jpg

I still need to get it home, and do some fixing on it, but here’s the story so far.

The car has 280,000 miles on it, all highway miles, second owner, and well maintained until the tranny went out.

It’s a 92' AWD, and has a 5 speed manual, and the way the story goes, is that my co-worker was driving it home from work, it popped out of gear, and they weren’t able to get it back into gear, so they rope towed it home about 5 miles with their pick up and it’s been sitting ever since. the engine runs like a top I'm told, so hopfully it's got a lot more life left in it over and above the 280,000 miles it's already got.

It’s been sitting about 2 years, but gets started up every couple of months or so, and it’s pretty nice inside and out, no dents or accidents, no rips or tares on the interior ect.

I got it for $300, I still need to get it home and then figure out what happened to the tranny, but I’m going to guess that it’s going to need a new one.

If I can get this one running, I’ll be able to park my Loyale and save it for my weekend warrior trips out of town, and use this Legacy as my transportation to and from work …..yup, I’m excited!!

Edited by Stubies Subie

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats! Looks great for 300! These early legacys are great cars. I've had a couple over the last few years, and loved all of them. They have never let me down. I've seen these well over 300k, as long as it was well maintained, it should have plenty of life left :)

Looks amazing. Try to just flush the tranny a few times and see if you can get it to last awhile

at this point, I'm not even sure the tranny is out, all I know is that it popped out of gear when they were driving it home, couldn't get it back into gear, hooked a rope to the front end, and towed it the rest of the way home with their pickup and just parked it, never looked at it to see what was wrong or anything ....so, maybe I might get lucky? who knows? either way, it's a great deal, even if I have to put another tranny in it.

+1 I was thinking this last night - wonder if the clutch went out and they didnt wanna mess with it so it wont go in gear?

they say the tranny is shot because they can't get it in gear, but no one ever looked at it see what's causing it too not go into gear. it was running fine up to that point, no wornings or anything, one minute the cars running perfect and the next it pops out of gear, and gets towed home.

it seems to me that if a tranny was going to go out, you would get some sort of warning, or it would be making some sort of suspect noise or something.

Edited by Stubies Subie

• 2 months later...
If the clutch is totally 100% gone and failed it might be going into gear. But since it didn't move they didn't see the difference between going into gear, and the clutch engaging.

But that's a damn awesome price! I'm jealous.

I am wondering if the trany is actually bad, once I get it home where I can look it over, I'll figure it out, I'll post better pictures of it once I get my hands on it, this is the first time I ever bought a car sight un-seen, but it does belong to a co-worker that I've worked with for a good number of years, so I trust her judgment on the condition of the car.

I'm excited about it, it looks so clean that even with high miles, it really doesn't have me to concerned that I might be getting a piece of junk or something. I do kinda wonder what 280,000 miles has done to the interior though, I hope it[s not all tore up, I don't think it is or she woulda told me ....trusting ain't I?

With the car off can you feel all 5 gears and reverse? If so, start it with it in gear with the clutch pedal in and see if you can move in any of them. Like, try starting out in 2nd gear and see if it will move, 3rd, etc. Its really unlikely every gear broke. I bet clutch cable or clutch itself.

With the car off can you feel all 5 gears and reverse? If so, start it with it in gear with the clutch pedal in and see if you can move in any of them. Like, try starting out in 2nd gear and see if it will move, 3rd, etc. Its really unlikely every gear broke. I bet clutch cable or clutch itself.

I will try that when I get it home and see what happens, I'm hoping to get it home this coming weekend

If the clutch cable broke they'd be saying the clutch pedal was stuck to the floor... And it would grind trying to get it into gear with the motor running. Or take off if you started it in gear...

Been there, dealt with that.

Yes, that is commonly understood by most anyone who works on cars. However, for those who don't know anything about cars, they would just respond that the car won't go into gear. That.........is precisely what he was told by owner trying to sell the car. Still, a good possibly that the clutch cable is broken.

Yes, that is commonly understood by most anyone who works on cars. However, for those who don't know anything about cars, they would just respond that the car won't go into gear. That.........is precisely what he was told by owner trying to sell the car. Still, a good possibly that the clutch cable is broken.

I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope that's what it is, I got a busy weekend ahead of me but am going to try my darndest to get the car home and work on it.

I got the Legacy home tonight, it was to late to get more pictures and I was working on another car when it arrived, so I wasn’t able to do anything with it, but I do have a little more information on it.

the engine was replaced at about 150,000 miles and has about 20,000 miles less on it then the odometer shows, and the Odometer now shows 270,000, so the engine has about 250,000 miles on it.

It hasn’t been started in about a year and a half, so I may try to get it running tomorrow.

The clutch was replaced when the engine was put in so the clutch has about 120,000 on it, and she said the clutch was still working fine when the tranny went out.

As for the tranny, it is the original one that came with the car new, so it has 270,000 miles on it, the lady I got the car from said that it would pop out of third gear so she quit using third gear, she’d shift from 1st to 2nd to 4th then 5th,

The last time it was driven, (about 2 years ago) she said she was about to accelerate up a hill in 5th gear when it popped out of 5th as she pushed on the throttle, the car came to a stop and would no longer move.

Her son suggested that it might be a busted input shaft? Or maybe the clutch went out (I don’t think it’s the clutch though) he said sometimes you could put it in gear, and it would feel like it was about to catch and move and he could hear something “pop” and then it would just free spin like it was in neutral. (kind of sounds like maybe a broken shaft?)

The clutch cable is fine, it’s not broke, the peddel feels normal, and you can feel the tranny go in and out of each gear as you move the gear shift.

it's got a really nice set of aftermarket wheels on it, plus I got the origional set of wheels with almost new studded tires on them, there's no stereo, just a hole in the dash when the radio used to live.

will be posting pictures tomorrow

Edited by Stubies Subie