Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey, guess what? I got a legacy!!!

Here comes all the “before restoration pictures”

Here’s a front view of the car, it does have some paint flaking off the top of it, the clear coat, and the headlights are yellow, it’s going to need a really good cleaning, my son in low can fix the paint problem.

th_101_2442.jpg

Here’s a picture of the back

th_101_2444.jpg

The only real body damage I saw was the rust spot on the trunk lid, and a small dent in the front fender, a Job my son in law can fix

th_101_2445.jpg th_101_2446.jpg

It also has this little problem with the rear window side trim, it looks like the rubber is shot and the trim is coming off, need to fix that

th_101_2447.jpg th_101_2448.jpg

Here’s the clear coat fading

th_101_2457.jpg th_101_2458.jpg

I was really concerned about the interior having 280,000 miles on it, then I saw the seat covers and figured the seats were completely shot;

th_101_2453.jpg

But when I pulled the seat covers back, the seats were perfect underneath:

th_101_2454.jpg

The stereo is gone, but the dash isn’t torn up, so I should be able to give it a clean replacement:

th_101_2452.jpg

The carpet is also perfect under the floor mats:

th_101_2449.jpg

The only problem I found with the interior was the lack of sun visors, both sides are missing:

th_101_2450.jpg

I really like the aftermarket wheels, there’s no curb rash on them, with a little cleanup, they should look really good:

th_101_2443.jpg

I also got the stock wheels with a rally nice set of studs:

th_101_2455.jpg

Everything looks nice simple and intact under the hood:

th_101_2441.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats! I'd say you got yourself a pretty nice vehicle there--at a great price. :banana:

Good luck, enjoy the fix-up.

thanks, what I'll probably end up doing is moving it into the shop as soon as I get the Loyale done, and just slowly fix it up buying parts for it here and there until I have it running.

I don't think it's going to take a whole lot of money to get it going, it's pretty well intact, and the interior isn't all torn up, but it is filthy dirty, so lots of elbow grease ahead for me.

I got the car started tonight, it runs great, I let it idle for about an hour, no over heating , nice and quiet, and runs very smoothly.

it acts like the clutch is gone, you can shift through all the gears while running but it won't move, I noticed a slight RPM drop when in gear, the clutch peddel will go all the way to the floor and stays there unless you give it a good swift thump, then it will pop back up to the top.

Interesting. I'm betting there's some real nasty carnage inside that transmission. The fact that it was popping out of gears..... this is not a common issue with the AWD 5MT's so I'm sure it's totally blowed up inside. Drain the gear oil - I bet there's a whole party pack of little metal favors in there. :lol:

GD

I'm thinking it's gonna be a blown tranny, I need to collect parts like a cutch and tranny and we'll be talking, I also found a reciept in the paper work for a new clutch and resurfaced flywheel about 100,000 miles ago, so I'm thinking that if the fly wheel has already been resurfaced once, I'm probably gonna want a new one when we pull replace the tranny and clutch.

Flywheel should be fine to resurface at least three times. They are really heavy - something stupid like 26 lbs. No problem taking off a few thou.

I have a clutch kit here in my shop I can sell you - bought it for an '03 Baja but didn't end up using it because the thing had a new (3500 mile) clutch in it already. Will fit the '91 just fine.

Just need a tranny - shouldn't be hard to fine one. Here's one in Longview for $275:

Transmission

Subaru Legacy

SK7263

$275

D and S Light Truck USA-WA(Longview) 1-877-575-1676

GD

Just need a tranny - shouldn't be hard to fine one. Here's one in Longview for $275:

Transmission

Subaru Legacy

SK7263

$275

D and S Light Truck USA-WA(Longview) 1-877-575-1676

GD

I need to wait till I get the loyale back on the road before I start working on the Legacy, but it won't be to long of a wait :D

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Vroooom ... I can almost feel the rumble vibration of that EJ22 coupled to that 5 speed gear box with my hand resting on the shifter, sitting studly behind the wheel of my latest ride

Confidence in Motion, me and my trusty little Legacy, a legend in the making .... Feel the love ....... it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru.

Edited by Stubies Subie

Vroooom ... I can almost feel the rumble vibration of that EJ22 coupled to that 5 speed gear box with my hand resting on the shifter, sitting studly behind the wheel of my latest ride

Confidence in Motion, me and my trusty little Legacy, a legend in the making .... Feel the love ....... it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru.

Like a young kid with a new Christmas toy!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got home and noticed that my legacy is missing, it's no longer parked in the driveway, nothing there but the empty spot where the car used to sit with 4 tire marks embedded into the blacktop.

this could mean one of two things, either someone stole it, which would be ok with me because it was busted anyway, .... or ..... General Disorder came over and got it so he could fix it.

I'm leaning more towards General Disorder getting it, Yee-Haw!! ...my legacy is gonna get fixed :)

I so happy, this calls for a celebration, pass the milk and cookies please :D

Edited by Stubies Subie

My initial reaction is that it is possibly just a completely wasted clutch. I hear what appears to be the "clutch trash" being blendered up by the hub and springs of the destroyed disc. Of course that just means we are replacing the clutch which we knew anyhow. A proper examination of the transmission is needed to pass judgement on it's viability since it can't be driven.

We shall see and I'll hold off actual diagnosis till I get it apart but that's my 5 minute examination.

GD

I just got home and noticed that my legacy is missing, it's no longer parked in the driveway, nothing there but the empty spot where the car used to sit with 4 tire marks embedded into the blacktop.

this could mean one of two thing, either someone stole it, which would be ok with me because it was busted anyway, .... or ..... General Disorder came over and got it so he could fix it.

I'm leaning more towards General Disorder getting it, Yee-Haw!! ...my legacy is gonna get fixed :)

I so happy, this calls for a celebration, pass the milk and cookies please :D

OR Chip Foose and the Overhaulin' team is reworking your car right now! Don't forget to act surprised when they return a subaru brz to your driveway.

Damn I wish I lived in the PNW with a GD close by.:lol:

OR Chip Foose and the Overhaulin' team is reworking your car right now! Don't forget to act surprised when they return a subaru brz to your driveway.

Damn I wish I lived in the PNW with a GD close by.:lol:

hahaha, yes, I admit it, knowing GD and having him live close by has it's benefits.

As far as that tranny is concerned, there was something wrong with 4th gear to begin with, it wouldn't stay in gear so the people I got it from would just skip right on past it and go straight into 5th gear from third.

so at the least, the tranny needs to be looked at or repaired or something so it will stay in 4th gear.

GD got the tranny out of the car today, from all outward appearances, the tranny looked good

th_100_2804.jpg

Heck, even the pressure plate looked ok.

th_100_2803.jpg

But once we got it apart, it became apparent what the problem was …. A blown clutch disk.

th_100_2805.jpg

The tranny pops out of 4th gear, so either we need to fix it or replace it, I’m leaving that decision up to GD.

All in all, so far, so good, and not a bad investment for 300 bucks.

Edited by Stubies Subie

I enjoyed reading again all the posts up to the present on the dialogue of your Subie tranny & clutch. With clutch and tranny repair, it sounds like your "new" car will be back on the road soon...........enjoy!!

I'm guessing it will be on the road in a week or two, it's going to need some other work like seals, timing belt, hoses and such, but that can wait a little bit, it will be nice just to have it drivable.

I also just got a 1978 4x4 chevy truck that GD is gonna get to work on, 70,000 original miles, straight, no rust, one owner, but it's been sitting for a few years and needs a good tune up and cleaning.

now every car we own is a 4x4 except 1, the celica

Hey GD, can we make sure I got a metal rear separator plate before we put a clutch and tranny back in that car, I've been going to mention it for the last 3 days and kept forgetting.

if mine has a plastic one, I don't want it to be leaking on me, so lets seal up what ever needs to be sealed behind the flywheel before it goes back together.

the rear separator plate is metal, good news there.

the latest is putting in a transmission out of a 96 outback sport, final gear ratio is a little different then mine, I got 3.11, and I think the outback tranny is 3.9?

so that means we're gonna have to change the rear end as well.

the car might be on the road as early as this weekend

The legacy is done, took it for a test drive today, it runs great, has plenty of power, stays in gear like it's supposed to.

it's taken 9 months to get it running again, but all things considered, and beins how it's just a spare car, that ain't to bad.

it's not licensed yet, and I still need to get it home, it's going to sit a bit longer until I get the money up to put a license on it.

it also still needs some preventative maintenance, like timing belts change out and leaky seals fixed, but that will come in time.

so far, I really like what I got, I'm only in the car 1000 bucks, counting the new tranny and clutch.

tonight after work, I stopped by GD's shop and picked up the Legacy, and drove it home.

for something that's been sitting dead in the water for the last 3 years, it sure drove nice tonight.

with expired tags,(the last registration ended in 2010) I was really looking over my shoulder on my way home but never did get stopped by the police.

It's about an 8 mile drive from GD's shop to my house, but I live out in the sticks, so the travel is mostly dark country back roads.

for the first time I really got a chance to see what the difference is between a Loyale and a Legacy ...all I can say is WOW! the power difference is enormous, it just feels like a lot more car then the Loyale.

when you hit the throttle on the Legacy, you got power right now, no waiting, or hesitating about it, you hit the throttle and you know your going somewhere, unlike the loyale that's often passed up by joggers along side the road, and the mountain bike rider on his trusty TREK that just rode right on past me going up that hill.

with that Loyale, it's under powered enough that sometimes I have really felt that it would help if I started flintstoning it by punching a couple of holes through the floor boards and getting my feet down there to help push it up the hills :D

I still like the body style of the Loyale, and the simplicity of the machine, but I can now see why the Legacy has such a loyal following.

beins how we just got it running, the car is still dirty filthy, and needs a lot of serious cleaning, but after driving it tonight, I look forward to getting it registered and licensed and being able to use it, for a spare car, that Legacy is a good choice :D

I am still going to enjoy the Loyale, and it certainly has it place in my life, but whoa, this Legacy is gonna be a whole lotta fun.

so I guess I should say, let the cleaning begin :D

Edited by Stubies Subie

• 2 weeks later...

This car has been running great since GD fixed the clutch and transmission; it had a half tank of 3 year old gas in it that I’ve been working on running out of it. I can’t really drive it yet because I haven’t switched over the title or gotten it registered and the license expired in 2010, so I’ve only been able to make short trips around the property with it which equals out to be a little more then ¼ mile per loop around the property.

My plan is to put some seafoam treated fuel in the tank once I run out the old gas that’s in there now, so far, I’ve gotten it from a half tank down to an eighth tank

I had a day off work and a chance to stay home so I decided to do a little cleaning on the legacy

th_100_2817.jpg

I was also able to get the bumper stickers off the back of it.

th_100_2818.jpg

The more I tinker around with this car, the more I’m liking it :D