Ultimate Subaru Message Board

car wont start

Hi guys

I am kind of desperate, I am selling my '92 loyale and was supposed to have a few people come by tomorrow to check it out.

I had problems with my car staying on, advice from this board said it was the alternator so I got it tested and sure enough it was dead. So I got a new one and installed it.

The car started up fine before I took off the old alternator, but wouldn't stay running.

Now I can't even start it with the new alternator. It sounds kind of wheezy when starting. My lights and everything aren't dim, so it's not the battery (and it was tested before and in good condition)

What would cause this? All I did was take off the battery leads and the two wires from the back of the alternator.

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is the first time I have experienced this problem in over a year of daily driving.

Thanks

It usually fails... Alt or Battery first, seems one takes the other out, then since your broke anyways something else usually jumps in like the ignition module.. or ?

92 Loyal, which motor is that.. EJ or EA ? If it's EA then check the usual, rotor screw loose and not turning, no spark, fuel? fuse?

EJ., no idea...

YOu wanted ideas... that's all I got...

Edited by Indrid cold

I had the battery checked and it tested fine, the guy recharged it and gave it back to me at the end of the day.

I put everything back together and tried to fire up and still nothing.

I tried a few more times, and still nothing. By the fifth or so try, I floored the gas pedal and it started to respond. I tried again giving it more gas and it fired up, idling rough. I turned it off and started again, and it fired up again. It idled at 2000rpm for a while, so I turned it off, started again, and it lowered the idle.

It seems to be running fine now, but why did I need to floor it to start it? It had been sitting for 3 weeks, maybe something setttled in the fuel lines? Should I change the fuel filter?

Thanks everyone!