Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DIY strut lift blocks

monstaru

It would work, but I wouldn't use it. On an ea82 you'd wanna angle the mounts inward to keep your camber angles. I'd just stick with metal. It's not that expensive. Dunno about everywhere else, but the scrap metal yard here has a good selection for 25 cents a pound. I was able to get enough to build a full 4" lift for under $10.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I tried to mold some plastic scraps from ebay with poor results. Viscosity wasn't right and no matter how hot the plastic gets, it only becomes gummy, not molten. The answer is that I would need pressure and heat the get the results I'd need.

So, because of this, Even the plastic (in sheets) costs more than it's worth. Scrap metal is super cheap, the problem is- who will cut it?

yeah, good call. I guess I can check. I asked a while back and it was $ 10 to cut metal. Not sure if that's for multiple cuts, and I assumed they'd only do straight cuts. Well see.

Molding the plastic idea isn't entirely dead either- I can buy a pressure cooker..maybe shred the plastic if need be. Probably not the most efficient way to go about things, but I'm curious.

Monsteru, Why not scrap metal for you?

You are making it more complicated than you need to.Just buy the right plastic. There is no need to try an mold anything.You need a square block about Xx6"x6"for each corner.

DO you read?I said that I ended up using my METAL blocks.I simply made this how to , to show how easy it IS to make some smaller strut blocks out of plastics.There are other writeups out there that explain it a little better.But I was trying to show what could be done with some basic tools.

Edited by monstaru

blow me. I read better than you. :grin:

you are right- I don't need to mold, but then again, I don't even need to cut or fabricate depending on how much I'd be willing to spend.

The price for the plastic above 1 inch thick costs more than scrap metal. There is no point to that. I tried to be innovative with plastic scraps that costs pennies.

Go ahead, get angry, pound a PBR, and write a jet hot criticism that helps no one. cool. cool emoticon----> :cool:

blow me. I read better than you. :grin:

you are right- I don't need to mold, but then again, I don't even need to cut or fabricate depending on how much I'd be willing to spend.

The price for the plastic above 1 inch thick costs more than scrap metal. There is no point to that. I tried to be innovative with plastic scraps that costs pennies.

Go ahead, get angry, pound a PBR, and write a jet hot criticism that helps no one. cool. cool emoticon----> :cool:

Plain and simple.thats what this is meant to be.You are over complicating it.If you want to use metal then start a thread about metal.This was not really meant to be a discussion thread about all the ways to do a lift.

I mean how many times do I need to state that.....

I am trying to help people get a grasp, now that you have one, go.Do whatcha want with it.

People wish to build things in different ways,It was never really meant for anyhting above 1" anyways.I did mine at 2" because that is where I wanted to go.I never really intended on using them, then decided I would try it, then decided I didna have the time.

Cost comparison is still cheaper for plastics if you have time and tools.Well below the hundo or so for premade stuffs.Having the tools to pull of these blocks is alot cheaper than having the tools to fabricate metal.Alot more cost associated with the metal fab tools by far.

I simply believe people should try there damndest to build their own ************, this is not the answer for all, only some.

You keep coming back with other ideas that are preposterous.Do it however you want, but remember you were the one scrambling around to try an figure out how to do a lift, asking for specifics etc...

Take it or leave it,I could care less.But DO NOT confuse the fact that I have been trying to help this entire time.Andyes, I like PBR.Is there a problem with that?I also brew beer in several different fashions, as well as liquor.

I don't drink in the morning unless it is warranted:drunk:especially 6:30 in the morning.....

Piss off, and have a good day:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested in using HDPE, I've only seen that any suitable plastic block over 1" thick would cost $60+.

That is lame. Consider this instead-

http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-Blocks-out-of-HDPE-milk-jugs/

Then read the remainder of this post and a few other posts,like this one below:

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23759

and GRRRRRRR! DO DER DUH DAGGON' RESEARCHIN' N READIN' *hic* ON UR OWN! :drunk:

haha really, just kidding. Enjoy.

• 11 months later...