Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2012 Outback/Legacy Auto Door Locks

The 2012 Outback I just bought, to my surprise, has no auto-locking doors! My kid's cheapie corolla has.... I purchased a new 08 Scion XD that also did not have that feature, so I ended up Designing/building/installing one that locked the doors when the car moved over 3mph. The doors unlocked when either of the front doors were opened or when the key was turned off. I also built mods for it to have the radio stay on till a door was opened, Power windows adjustable till a door opened, etc.

Here is a link if anyone wants to see the diagram:

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt107/bobolinko/AutoDoorLocks6-23-10.png

I will build and install one for my Outback, and it would be very much easier if I could get a wiring diagram of the car. If anyone has, or can point me to a downloadable wiring diagram, I'd be able to start on it right away... Please either reply in this thread, or pm me. Whatever your pleasure!

Wen completed, I will post a How-To in this forum if an interest is there for such a mod.

Mahalo, and Aloha From Hawaii !!

Hate to tell you this, but you have this because Subaru easily passes crash tests. Cars that have the auto locks usually do because the doors need to be locked to pass the crash test otherwise the passenger compartment may deform or the door open.

An aftermarket alarm will solve this.

Yes, it probably would, however the car already has a factory installed alarm system. It would be a terrible waste of funds to throw $300+ for a $15 mod that would correct this overlooked safety issue that would prevent carjacks when the perpetrator just opens a door to hijack the car when my daughter is driving it.

Thank you for you input though!

Aloha

It may be an audivos unit, if it is, you can just add a module on. Have you talked to a dealer or an alarm shop?

Now That, Nipper, is something I can certainly chase down! Great idea. Thank you, I'll follow up on this and see if there is a possibility here.

Thank you again for your input.

Aloha! hulabula.gif

Edited by bobolinko

Hate to tell you this, but you have this because Subaru easily passes crash tests. Cars that have the auto locks usually do because the doors need to be locked to pass the crash test otherwise the passenger compartment may deform or the door open.

See, I agree with something I heard once on a car talk radio show. I want a system that UNlocks the car above 30-40 mph and locks it at lower speeds.

Reduce car-jacking attempts at stop lights, but, if you're in a wreck at freeway speeds - they might be able to get you out without waiting for jaws-of-life to cut the car apart because the doors are locked.

Personally I find the auto locks annoying. I like to decide for myself whether to lock or unlock the doors.

My wife generally drives the Exploder that has auto locks, I usually drive the Subie that does not. Every time I drive the Exploder when I get out and try and open a door I say an expletive because the door I want to open is locked. Have to go back to drivers door and press the unlock button.

The best thing would be to have a driver selectable auto door lock. I think my Exploder can be changed, but my wife wants the auto lock feature activated, 'nuff said>

The best thing would be to have a driver selectable auto door lock. I think my Exploder can be changed, but my wife wants the auto lock feature activated, 'nuff said>

What's the point of an 'automatic' system if you have to remember to turn it on and off? :confused:

If you want to get really deep into it, I suppose you could have a selective automatic system which is activated based on his-and-hers key fobs, an RFID proximity keychain, weight sensors in the drivers seat, etc. But that's an awful lot of effort for not much gain unless the whole deal *really* bothers you.

What's the point of an 'automatic' system if you have to remember to turn it on and off? :confused:

If you want to get really deep into it, I suppose you could have a selective automatic system which is activated based on his-and-hers key fobs, an RFID proximity keychain, weight sensors in the drivers seat, etc. But that's an awful lot of effort for not much gain unless the whole deal *really* bothers you.

data is even cheaper than silicon. You want bluetooth, nav and OnStar and a DVD player? no problem. And driver sensing/programmable configurations? easy peasy

But if you want an xtra 15 hp and another 2.5 cuft of cargo room - NO WAY!

Wow! All good points. I'll see if I can incorporate all in my next design on the auto door locks. I know the on-off feature is simple enough, and I suspect the speed factor might be a little hard, but I can also do the unlock when engine not running, and that oughta cover the issue 1 Lucky Texan has...

Right on Guys, I just need the wiring diagrams of the car, and I'll be good to go!

Again, Mahalo ! hulabula.gif

What I meant is the ability for the car owner to activate/deactivate the auto lock function so that those that want to have it activated can and those that don't want that feature can disable it. Not every drive cycle but the ability to select it or not select it.

Case in point the OP wants to have that function available but Subaru does not have it available for the owner to enable or disable it.

My POS Exploder can enable or disable the seat belt chime if the seat belt is not buckled. Personally I just put the seat belt on because I know that statistically I am safer wearing it than not wearing it.

• 2 years later...

Have we all gotten so lazy that we can not press a button on a door?

I know this is an old post i found but

I am tired of this as well, anything come down the pike yet to fix this issue???

Nipper, walk in my shoes for a day, I do sales and am in it 8 hours aday and have to lock the door upwards of 30 times a day as i get in and out.....

Completely Stupid Subaru doesnt auto lock doors when you start driving, Every car i have owned in the past 20 years do so and its been over a dozen...

Edited by moooboy