Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Uneven tire wear - cause?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 J A Blazer

J A Blazer

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • Fairfax, Virginia

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

2000 OBW, 4 cyl, automatic, 155k. Left rear tire showing significant and markedly uneven wear on outer edge. Properly inflated. What is the most likely cause? TIA.

#2 Red92

Red92

Subaru Fanatic!

• Bronze Subscribers
  • 427 posts
  • Wisconsin

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

Sounds like an alignment issue.

What is the vehicle history? Did you buy it like this recently, did you buy the tires, did it develop recently or has it been getting this way over a long period of time, any known accidents or winter slides into curbs, etc?

#3 J A Blazer

J A Blazer

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • Fairfax, Virginia

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:05 PM

Have owned the car for 5 years, approx 70K. No accidents of which I'm aware. All tires replaced at the same time about 25K ago.

#4 danbennett2u

danbennett2u

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • Longmont CO

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

probably alignment issue as stated. Possibly a bad wheel bearing loose enough to let alignment fluctuate as well.

#5 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,628 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:56 PM

probably alignment issue as stated. Possibly a bad wheel bearing loose enough to let alignment fluctuate as well.

Hitting the curb with that wheel at speed could cause a bent wheel or suspension parts bent.

#6 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,703 posts
  • Texas

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:30 PM

bent/bad suspension/drivetrain part.

Or a bad tire. I've had a coupla tires that were just not built right and one of them statred showing it's belts when it still had tread left.

#7 Red92

Red92

Subaru Fanatic!

• Bronze Subscribers
  • 427 posts
  • Wisconsin

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

Have owned the car for 5 years, approx 70K. No accidents of which I'm aware. All tires replaced at the same time about 25K ago.

Ok. How many times have you rotated the tires in those 25k?

#8 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,628 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

bent/bad suspension/drivetrain part.

Or a bad tire. I've had a coupla tires that were just not built right and one of them statred showing it's belts when it still had tread left.

Yes, that is very possible too. I missed that possibility.

#9 J A Blazer

J A Blazer

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • Fairfax, Virginia

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

Found a used tire and as a temporary measure had the rapidly deteriorating tire on my car replaced with the used one with acceptable tread and of the same brand/model/size. However, when I returned home I noticed that the installer put it on backwards; i.e., these tires (BFGoodrich Traction TA) are directional, and it is on wrong. How big a deal is this? Is it simply an issue of noise from the tread pattern, or does it implicate the orientation of the belts, in which case it may be safety related? TIA.

Edited by J A Blazer, 24 December 2011 - 11:16 AM.
typo

#10 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,703 posts
  • Texas

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

Found a used tire and as a temporary measure had the rapidly deteriorating tire on my car replaced with the used one with acceptable tread and of the same brand/model/size. However, when I returned home I noticed that the installer put it on backwards; i.e., these tires (BFGoodrich Traction TA) are directional, and it is on wrong. How big a deal is this? Is it simply an issue of noise from the tread pattern, or does it implicate the orientation of the belts, in which case it may be safety related? TIA.

As a general rule I recall from 'the old days' a tire's rotation direction shouldn't be reversed. Of course, tires may be better/more tolerant of that these days. dunno

I'd have it flipped i think. Even if I had to pay for it. But, really, what kinda tire shop doesn't mark direction when they take stuff off, and pay attention when they mount them. That's tire swapping 101 lol!

#11 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,880 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:21 PM

It can cause hydroplaining and make the vehicle not handle properly. Also, get an alignment, probably needs to have the rear toe adjusted.

#12 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:31 PM

The directional tires can usually be run backwards as long as the pavement is dry. Motorcycles ridden on the track often flip the tires to use up the tread on the other side. But if the pavement is wet then it is not so good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users