Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5MT Trans (Imp to Lego) Swap Questions

Have a 97 Legacy wagon with failing front differential bearings (loose stub shafts) and considering a used trans. Closest match is from an Impreza, with very similar gear ratios (not of concern to me) and same final drive ratio. I have noticed there are a lot of minor differences in Subaru equipment. I am concerned with some other incompatibility between trannys like output shaft splines and mount locations.

Comments welcome!

Have a 97 Legacy wagon with failing front differential bearings (loose stub shafts) and considering a used trans. Closest match is from an Impreza, with very similar gear ratios (not of concern to me) and same final drive ratio. I have noticed there are a lot of minor differences in Subaru equipment. I am concerned with some other incompatibility between trannys like output shaft splines and mount locations.

Comments welcome!

If the lego is currently a 5 spd and the FD match up, it will be pretty much of a direct swap.

Are they both cable clutch?

You may have to move over some of the brackets that support the airbox and exhaust.

I'm not sure what year determines a speedo cable or a electronic speed sensor, but either way the hole that they thread into on the trans is the same. So it would just be a matter of unthreading from the bad trans and threading into the good one. May be as simple as unplugging and plugging??

as mentioned final drive has to be the same on trans and rear diff - if you get a different geared trans, just get a matching rear diff.

98+ the bellhousing bolt pattern changed from 4 to 8, but the old version 4 still line up with 4 out of the 8 of the newer style so it doesn't matter. just a heads up since they'll look a little different and yards and people will say they can't interchange.

the only impreza you can't use a 1993 FWD version but you won't want or find that anyway.

hydraulic and clutch cable like dave said is another difference. both are interchangeable though - so again, don't worry about that, just swap the clutch components of the one you want on the trans you're installing. very simple.