Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

5MT Trans (Imp to Lego) Swap Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rdjeep

rdjeep

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

Have a 97 Legacy wagon with failing front differential bearings (loose stub shafts) and considering a used trans. Closest match is from an Impreza, with very similar gear ratios (not of concern to me) and same final drive ratio. I have noticed there are a lot of minor differences in Subaru equipment. I am concerned with some other incompatibility between trannys like output shaft splines and mount locations.

Comments welcome!

#2 Hocrest

Hocrest

Function becomes Fun

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Cressona/Pittston

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

Have a 97 Legacy wagon with failing front differential bearings (loose stub shafts) and considering a used trans. Closest match is from an Impreza, with very similar gear ratios (not of concern to me) and same final drive ratio. I have noticed there are a lot of minor differences in Subaru equipment. I am concerned with some other incompatibility between trannys like output shaft splines and mount locations.

Comments welcome!

If the lego is currently a 5 spd and the FD match up, it will be pretty much of a direct swap.

Are they both cable clutch?

You may have to move over some of the brackets that support the airbox and exhaust.

I'm not sure what year determines a speedo cable or a electronic speed sensor, but either way the hole that they thread into on the trans is the same. So it would just be a matter of unthreading from the bad trans and threading into the good one. May be as simple as unplugging and plugging??

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,750 posts
  • WV

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

as mentioned final drive has to be the same on trans and rear diff - if you get a different geared trans, just get a matching rear diff.

98+ the bellhousing bolt pattern changed from 4 to 8, but the old version 4 still line up with 4 out of the 8 of the newer style so it doesn't matter. just a heads up since they'll look a little different and yards and people will say they can't interchange.

the only impreza you can't use a 1993 FWD version but you won't want or find that anyway.

hydraulic and clutch cable like dave said is another difference. both are interchangeable though - so again, don't worry about that, just swap the clutch components of the one you want on the trans you're installing. very simple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users