Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi, my 96 legacy with the 2.2l & 93k miles is going in for regular maintenance, and i just want to make sure i'm covering all the bases. According to the service guide, it's time to:

* replace the fuel filter

* replace the spark plugs

* replace the air cleaner

* replace the brake fluid

Is there anything else that should be replaced at this point? I'd rather be safe than sorry.

thanks

My own personal intervals for those things are as follows:

62k replace the fuel filter

31k replace the spark plugs

31k replace the air cleaner

Once a year replace the brake fluid

At 62k the timing belt also needs replacing, and this brings along with it the crank and camshaft seals and whatever else seems worn once the front is open anyway.

Be gentle on the plugs, don't tighten them to much, they only need about 15Nm.

Adwolf, where in FL are you?

Honestly, I'm getting obsessed to the point that I don't do "checkups." If something on my car needs replacing, it gets replaced. Sometimes it doesn't even need replacing, like I might take my spark plugs out in a few months just to check their condition and the engine's condition. I'll replace them, since NGK plugs are so cheap, it's dumb to reuse a spark plug anyway.

Originally posted by subyluvr2212

Adwolf, where in FL are you?

south florida, ft. lauderdale area. (not exactly prime subaru country).

I guess i'm wondering if this engine has any other 'gotchas' that I should replace now -- O2 sensor, PCV valves, etc...

I'd rather just replace these things in one fell swoop than have one fail when driving.

I plan to keep the car forever, so I view a little bit of preventative maintenance as cheap insurance.

ad

If the plug wires haven't been changed you may want to do them also. The PCV valve is cheap and easy to replace.

-Heikki

I bought my '96 with ~98k this past fall and am getting into its maintenance myself. Has about 105k now. I have done plugs (NGK), wires (NGK), PCV valve (FRAM), air filter (FRAM), gear/rear fluids (RedLine) and reg. oil changes. Next up will be fuel filter, timing belts and associated seals. Will be doing brake fluid this weekend when I put in SS lines.

do all '96 2.2L's have a PCV valve?

(you can tell i don't do my own maintenance,i just need to give the list to my mechanic, and i don't think mine's ever been changed with nearly 100k miles)

thanks

Originally posted by hklaine

If the plug wires haven't been changed you may want to do them also. The PCV valve is cheap and easy to replace.

-Heikki

I bought my '96 with ~98k this past fall and am getting into its maintenance myself. Has about 105k now. I have done plugs (NGK), wires (NGK), PCV valve (FRAM), air filter (FRAM), gear/rear fluids (RedLine) and reg. oil changes. Next up will be fuel filter, timing belts and associated seals. Will be doing brake fluid this weekend when I put in SS lines.

I believe all EJ engines have PCV valves. Replace it with an original part, cant trust the spring pressure in non-genuine parts. Basically, go for Sube parts on all the small, cheaper things. The quality is high and you can rest assured that all the relevant parameters are set correct. Oil filter by-pass valve for example. You don't want that opening too early!

Setright lives up to his namesake: he's exactly right :lol:

As long as your original PCV valve is still working, leave it. You will gain nothing by replacing it. And yes, replace it with OEM only. Aftermarket valves pull too much vacuum and actually suck oil out of the valve covers and dump it straight into your intake manifold!

I also recommend changing both spark plugs and wires. Old wires' insulative material grows old and may allow interference in, resulting in a less-than-ideal spark.

Originally posted by subyluvr2212

As long as your original PCV valve is still working, leave it. You will gain nothing by replacing it. And yes, replace it with OEM only.

I disagree with the first part. PCV valves are cheap. Replacing them once a year ensures that the vapors in the engine are properly removed, keeping the engine as clean as possible internally and maximizing oil longevity. PCV valves are just one of the many things that I don't test, I replace them instead.

I agree that only OEM Subaru PCV valves should be used.

this may sound horrifying, but despite my keeping up on all maintenance tasks (going by the book, i thought..) i don't see my PCV valve ever being replaced. (that's with 93k miles.)

I don't think i've experienced any ill effects, though how would i know? milage is good ~ 30 on the highway.

Unfortunately, since a Bush took charge here several years ago, my state no longer requires emissions testing. So i have no idea about how badly i may have been polluting :-(

Originally posted by 99obw

I disagree with the first part. PCV valves are cheap. Replacing them once a year ensures that the vapors in the engine are properly removed, keeping the engine as clean as possible internally and maximizing oil longevity. PCV valves are just one of the many things that I don't test, I replace them instead.

I agree that only OEM Subaru PCV valves should be used.