Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5 NOT 2.2

I thought I should start a new thread as the old one was listed as a 2.2 when it was if fact a 2.5

This is the car that had all these codes.

P0325

P0400

P0500

P1507

P9141

In addition to these I find it also has the At Light flashing 16 times as well.

I still haven't had the time to check much out.

I have a few questions:

1>What is the about 1" tube just above the IAC? It has a lot of Electrical tape wrapped around it. I will replace the hose soon.

2>Are there special Vacuum lines? I checked out some lines that looked new on the device above the EGR and they slide right off and on. I would figure they are the wrong type or size and are not holding vacuum.

3>Are the Subaru security systems any good? The wires are hanging down from it and the PO told me he cut the wires to the horn on the system because he couldn't get it to shut off.

I found those wire connections at the rear of the engine and in the next couple of days will unhook them and clean them with some Deoxit. I will also unhook the IAC and clean it as well. It is hard to believe all these codes and the Tranny are all having problems. The PO only had this car for 4 months and I have no idea who owned it before that.

I did get it running and drove it around a couple of blocks today. It drove fairly good and I went across a big icy spot and it didn't seem to slip on the ice.

The Battery is toast I will have to get another one if I want to test much out.

Thanks for any help.

P0325 knock sensor

P0400 EGR

P0500Veh speed sensor A malfunction

P1507 Manuf control veh speed idle contraol aux input

P9141 ???? don't know.

Use the search function in USMB on the flashing 16 times. There is tons of info on it.

Go to cars 101 or search here it and it will tell you how to make the alarm system work without having to cut wires. the last guy was Kinda lame if you ask me.

YOu may want list more info. We all assume you have an automatic, but it would be good to know for sure. How many miles on your car?

I wouldn't replace a bunch of stuff until you get the vacuume lines hooked up with the proper size hoses

Good luck!

P0325 knock sensor

P0400 EGR

P0500Veh speed sensor A malfunction

P1507 Manuf control veh speed idle contraol aux input

P9141 ???? don't know.

Use the search function in USMB on the flashing 16 times. There is tons of info on it.

Go to cars 101 or search here it and it will tell you how to make the alarm system work without having to cut wires. the last guy was Kinda lame if you ask me.

YOu may want list more info. We all assume you have an automatic, but it would be good to know for sure. How many miles on your car?

I wouldn't replace a bunch of stuff until you get the vacuume lines hooked up with the proper size hoses

Good luck!

Sorry I forgot to mention, I know what the codes are now and was going to work on the individual parts one at a time. Cleaning things up and Putting on new hoses is my starting point.

It is an Auto, I didn't pay for the car but traded an ATV that was older but running good. Worth about $600 but I was selling it for $900 because I had put some money into it when I got it.

The car is Sharp looking with nice rims and it is a GT. It has 219k miles on it. The motor starts right up when the battery is charged and idles very smooth. All windows are tinted sunroof leather seats. Drivers seat is ripped.

I plan on fixing what I can and using it just as a spare if I ever need it. It will need a matching set of tires as the PO put on 2 on the front. I should be able to get 2 for the rear the same. Is that hose above the IAC where the PVC goes? Like I said it is covered with Electrical tape about 3" starting at the top of the hose down. If it looks like it will cost too much I will part the car out.

those are all really easy and cheap fixes, some might not even need to be addressed.

WOW though - that is a lot of codes, like that thing was just worked over like crazy and completely ignored and abused for a while to get all those codes or something extensive happened that caused them all at once?

have the codes cleared and see which ones come back first. that's generally the best place to start with a long list like this.

what you're describing sounds basically like where the PCV valve is - it's the only large threaded object that threads in just to the passengers side of the throttle body. it threads into the intake manifold and a hose connects to the other side, going to the large 3" or so intake hose i think.

the knock sensors simply crack at the base if you wanted to pull it and check. cheap ones are available on ebay - bheinen, member here, sells them here for cheap too. i've heard of people trying to fill the cracks with silicone/epoxy, though i've never tried it nor would I. LOL

EGR's sometimes just need cleaning the hoses and valve out. you'll probably need a new gasket if you go to remove the valve though.

Thanks for the help. I will clear the codes tomorrow and do as you said,look for which ones come back first. I will clean the IAC and EGR in a few days and the Knock sensor I did read about them cracking. After that I will change out Vacuum lines and go from there.

It sounds hopeful now. Thanks again.

Did a little messing around today and cleared all the codes. Restarted the car 4 times and let it run. Checked the codes and all I get is Code P0141, O2 Sensor 1 Bank 2 Malfunction.

I looked under the car to see if I could see the Sensors and never saw them. The car has the cats on but I didn't see a sensor nor holes for them. I also noticed the tail pipe and muffler is cut off. No Muffler and the pipe ends about 2 1/2 Feet from the tail of the car.

Can the muffler being cut off be the whole problem with this code?

Resetting the codes to see what comes back is always my first step when multiple codes are present.

P0141 Subaru O2 Heater Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

This code is for the rear O2 sensor. It's mounted on top of the rear cat sticking out towards the drivers side of the car. It can be difficult to see from below unless you are right under the cat.

The Knock Sensor code will probably come back unless someone replaced the knock sensor and never had the code erased. There's a member here selling brand new replacement knock sensors for under $25, look in the classified section.

Any vacuum related problem can cause the EGR code to set. Definitely get some smaller diameter vacuum hose to fit on those metal lines.

That code can also be set because the EGR valve is clogged, it's not difficult to remove and clean, a new gasket from a dealer is only a few dollars. It can be cleaned with just about any type of cleaner. I find Intake and Throttle Body Cleaner cuts through the carbon and sludge buildup in the intake system very quickly.

There are a few hoses by the IAC for the PCV system. The PCV valve is threaded into the manifold and the hose goes from there down into the crankcase. One other goes to the intake hose/ box behind the throttle body.

There are also two breathers hoses that come from the valve covers (one hose each) that attach to the bottom of the intake tube/ intake box. Either of those can cause problems since a missing or cracked hose will allow un-metered air into the intake behind the MAF sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

(Not to hijack,but didn't wanna start new thread.also tried the search and got this thread)

My 97 Outback (2.5,5spd) tripped a code P0400 awhile back (finally had it read due to inspection time) and i was told it had something to do with O2 sensor but also that bank 1 was lean (iirc,or could of been rich..should of written everything down cause now i'm not entirely sure.all i remember now for sure is the code) :banghead:

i haven't noticed any issues driving/idling,etc either..just cruddy gas mileage..

Did a little messing around today and cleared all the codes. Restarted the car 4 times and let it run. Checked the codes and all I get is Code P0141, O2 Sensor 1 Bank 2 Malfunction.

I looked under the car to see if I could see the Sensors and never saw them. The car has the cats on but I didn't see a sensor nor holes for them. I also noticed the tail pipe and muffler is cut off. No Muffler and the pipe ends about 2 1/2 Feet from the tail of the car.

Can the muffler being cut off be the whole problem with this code?

Sounds like the problem right there. Are there any unconnected wires hanging around the exhaust system? Usually there are 2 O2 sensors #1 is the upstream (nearest the engine) mounted in the 1st cat and #2 down stream mounted in the sec cat. If someone hacked the exhaust system they may have used frakencats.

Edited by screwbaru2

Just because you look under the car doesn't mean if you have them or not. They're usually in the upper half of the exhaust pipe to keep them from hitting on stuff. There should be one located in the top of the first cat which can be seen under the hood on the passenger side. Follow the back of the engine closest to the bellhop sing and you should see the sensor sticking up.

The second one depends on year of vehicle. Sometimes they are sticking up from the second cat and connect close to the first sensor's pigtail. They also can be under the car pointing out of the exhaust toward the butt of the driver. This one come up along the driver side of the transmission and crosses over the top of the transmission bell housing and plugs into the harness on the passenger side.