Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Definitive EA82 Rear Parking Brake Thread

Cyfun

I've been pouring over all the old threads on swapping calipers from Nissan 240 and 200sx's and whatnot, but nothing really gives me a clear idea of what will and won't work.

From what I've been able to gather, rear calipers from 240sx's and 200sx's will bolt to the EA82 rear disc caliper brackets, however the angles at which the rear parking brake arm come out either face the wrong way or will rub on the trailing arm.

I did just stumble across an Austrailian thread that claims 1980's Honda Accord rear calipers will bolt right up (apparently Soob and Honda used the same brake suppliers back then) and the parking brake is easier to hook up.

I am wondering if anyone here has tried this Honda method.

Also, I'm having a hard time tracking down some EA82 rear disc caliper brackets. Was curious if they are anything special or if I could fabricate some. Do they have any bends or are they flat? Either way, could somebody possibly trace one onto some paper with some measurements so I could try and replicate one? If it turns out to not be too difficult, would be happy to make and sell them. Altho if it were that easy, you'd think someone like SJR would have already done it.

Edited by Cyfun

After reading that thread and seeing the pics it looks like the honda caliper is the same as the nissan one. Probably easier to find than the nissan 200sx, but I'll be damned if I put any part that came off a honda on my car :-\

And Imp cables and brake handle should work, I'll find out soon enough.

Getting rear caliper brackets shouldnt be that hard, theres still lots of GL10's and turbo's showing up in the yards and here.

Lol yes, but my local junkyards are slim pickins. I did finally find a GL-10, but everything is really really rusted, and they want like $40 just for the pair of caliper brackets! And that's if I pull them myself, which would mean probably a couple hours of crawling around in the mud under that car.

My main concern, though, is the ease of attaching rear e-brake cables. Perhaps the Honda calipers are better in that respect. Also, if I were to fab my own caliper brackets, I could redesign it so that the caliper is clocked differently.

So can you guys tell me at least if the caliper brackets are just flat pieces of metal or if they're bent in any way? If they're pretty much flat, I'd just need to know how thick they are, and it would be easy to cut some out and position them however I like.

In the USRM, under the brake section, is my writeup of the 200SX swap. There are LOTS of pictures of the project and parts involved.

Ya, I saw your posts on it, I jus don't have any 200 or 240sx's locally. And I'd like to find somethin I can affix an ebrake to. Also, your thread doesn't really narrow down which years of cars to use, or how brake cables could be attached.

Actually, there is a 200sx but its like a 97 and is fwd, and I assume that won't work.

I'm mainly looking for answers on rear parking brake setups, and not just rear disc. I mean, one can probably make a lot of calipers fit by simply making a custom bracket, just a matter of sourcing the right caliper. And one that preferrably doesn't cost a pretty penny. Was eying some of those Honda ones and they were arouns $80 EACH.

you know idk why none has mentioned this but why not just put in a hydro ebrake and keep the stock front parking brake?..

I read a bit about that idea on some toyota forums. Apparently, for one its illegal in some states cause your emergency brake can't depend on the hydrauling system. Plus, then you're messing with something far more complicated than a few cables.

Maybe the thing would be to have a line lock for the fronts, so you could just hit the button to block pressure to the fronts, then mash the brake pedal to send all force to the backs.

you know idk why none has mentioned this but why not just put in a hydro ebrake and keep the stock front parking brake?..

If you upgrade your front brakes, then you don't have a place for the front parking brake. That's why a lot of people are interested in doing this.

Ya, I saw your posts on it, I jus don't have any 200 or 240sx's locally. And I'd like to find somethin I can affix an ebrake to. Also, your thread doesn't really narrow down which years of cars to use, or how brake cables could be attached.

Actually, there is a 200sx but its like a 97 and is fwd, and I assume that won't work.

I'm mainly looking for answers on rear parking brake setups, and not just rear disc. I mean, one can probably make a lot of calipers fit by simply making a custom bracket, just a matter of sourcing the right caliper. And one that preferrably doesn't cost a pretty penny. Was eying some of those Honda ones and they were arouns $80 EACH.

That 200SX is really just a Sentra. You want the other kind of 200SX. I got remanned calipers off Rockauto for about $35 each.

Jacob

Why does it have to be local? You can probably buy the parts online (either from rockauto, or here on the boards) and shipped to you for cheaper than a local source.

Hop on Rock Auto, and compare part numbers to find out what years work with what.

Most vehicles use a drum-in-disc parking brake system (or just plain drums). So finding a donor car with a caliper with an integrated mechanical parking brake will be difficult.

Years ago, Tex had some modified or straight-up custom backing plates which allowed him to use some toyota supra calipers for the rear ebrake.

Hydraulic handbrakes are not designed for prolonged use (as a parking brake). And yes, depending on the nature of your local inspections, may not pass, as they do not offer a backup in case of hydraulic failure. Same goes for line locks.

I just looked on RockAuto. Those rear calipers are only listed on '88 and '89 accords, and are very expensive. You've got MUCH better luck finding a Nissan 240.

Pictures of the rest of my rear ebrake conversion are in with my 5-lug swap thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79257

That's what I was thinkin, just buyin calipers new instead of tryna pull something used. Those Hondas are pretty pricey new, but I might have better luck finding some at the JY that I could look at before I buy.

As far as that caliper bracket goes, anyone have a spare bracket lying around that they could give me some measurements on? I'm starting to think that it doesn't matter, that I can probably eyeball it enough to work fine. The holes just need to line up on the trailing arm and the caliper, and the caliper doesn't need to be super precise in how it lines up with the disc. My only concern is that the thickness of the metal may matter.

Also... what about just using an EA82 front caliper? Has anyone considered that?

Edited by Cyfun

Cyfun

if you want some calipers that will work for a rear ebrake shoot me a PM. i have the calipers that i was running on my car for a few years, they work just fine. i took them off when i upgraded to brembo brake calipers...

i have everything you need for the rear but the XT6 hubs. or if you just need the calipers and brake cables thats fine also.

-=Suberdave=-

Hi Guys. Say, I'm runnin' Leg. front susp. components, & XT6 rear hubs, on my GL10. I bought the full rear brake set up off of a late 80s R. drive Nissan, hand lever, cables bracketry, calipers, etc. at the JY, for $25. The calipsers wouldn't bolt up tho. they looked the same. So, I ordered up a set of remans for 240 SX, sent the others back as cores, & all worked well. I was able to drill the spot welds off of both levers, mount the cable wheel from the Nissan to the Suby lever, & it functions beautifully. As I recall, got it all done for under a hundered. Luck with yours, S.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Guys. Say, I'm runnin' Leg. front susp. components, & XT6 rear hubs, on my GL10. I bought the full rear brake set up off of a late 80s R. drive Nissan, hand lever, cables bracketry, calipers, etc. at the JY, for $25. The calipsers wouldn't bolt up tho. they looked the same. So, I ordered up a set of remans for 240 SX, sent the others back as cores, & all worked well. I was able to drill the spot welds off of both levers, mount the cable wheel from the Nissan to the Suby lever, & it functions beautifully. As I recall, got it all done for under a hundered. Luck with yours, S.

What year range of 200sx for the calipers? I'm looking at doing this soon as I collect the correct parts

• 4 weeks later...
If you have 5 lug hubs, can't you use legacy rotors?

The ones I have now are the Legacy rotors. They are too deep, they rub on the backing plate. Will the xt6 rotors work with the nissan calipers? Would I use the nissan pads or subaru pads?

Plus the rotor surface is very narrow and its got the built in drum for the ebrake(the Legacy backing plates dont fit on the xt6 trailing arms). Just seem like extra weight and less stopping power..

Just not sure if I should get xt6 rotors or nissan rotors? But from what I hear the calipers are almost identical except the ebrake lever. So I assume the xt6 rotors(which are cheaper) would work fine.