Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seattle area machine shop recommendation

tractor pole

I am looking at completely going through my EA82 motor and I am looking for recommendations for a good machine shop in the seattle area, preferably in the Everett area or eastside, I am willing to take my parts a little further if they are good.

I used to work in an Automotive machine shop in Edmonds back when I was in High school, I would love to take it there but they closed up shop about 5 or so years ago.

any experiences good or bad are appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

EA82's are like tractor engines - what do you need a machine shop for?

Break the glaze in the cylinders with a $20 hone, polish the crank with some broke down 1200 grit wet/dry and resurface head/block with a sheet of glass and some 220 grit.

Lap the valves and do a complete reseal. New rings, main/rod bearings....

Done and done.

GD

I am used to putting freshly machined cylinder heads on without the extra grind marks.

I guess I just am a little uneasy about having to take it apart after I reseal it.

I really do not like to do things twice if I can avoid it.

I am using Fel-Pro Perma torque gaskets, maybe I'll give them a shot.

I called a few machine shops around the area, the couple I was thinking of using actually use a high speed or CBN type resurfacing machine. which will give an OEM/factory type finish. no rounded edges, no inaccuracies from incorrect pressure on one side of cylinder head. I was thinking of using your glass method but time is my main enemy.

Well - aside from aquireing the materials and setting it up - it takes less time than driving to/from the machine shop to do the actual surfacing operation. The 251 heads I did a few weeks ago took about 15 minutes each.

I don't experience any rounded edges or (apparently) any innacuracies due to pressure. I use gravity - I don't push down on the head I just let it's own weight do the cutting. Also with my method I only remove just enough material to true up the surface and clean it. So it's typically less material removed and thus less potential for innacuracies.

EA82's are so primitive and cheap that I wouldn't consider doing a rebuild if machine shop costs were involved. A used, good running engine is only worth about $100 amongst board members around here.

GD

I don't experience any rounded edges or (apparently) any innacuracies due to pressure. I use gravity - I don't push down on the head I just let it's own weight do the cutting. Also with my method I only remove just enough material to true up the surface and clean it. So it's typically less material removed and thus less potential for innacuracies.

GD

I was referring to the blanchard grind, it is easy to make an uneven surface with that type of surfacer. I am not saying your method is wrong either.

I am merely trying to get a recommendation from fellow Subaru enthusiasts on a machine shop in the local area because the ones I used in the past have gone out of business.

Ben

I understand. I use a guy that's close to me for my EJ25 high-comp. rebuilds and having a resource for that type of work is important. I just don't really see a need for much machine shop work on the older engines. If I do anything it's a shade-tree rebuild but mostly I just get used engines and do a reseal. Cheaper and faster for the sub-$500 units. Anything older than an EJ25 is pretty much too inexpensive to warrant the labor and time involved in a full rebuild unless it's going in an airplane, etc.

GD

Id go to DG Machine down in Auburn. They are grest guys and very very well known in the racing community. One of the guys there is into soobs, i think he has a lifted ea82. but, they can do anything, really. From spin up your crank (balance), to machining the block.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah..... that's why I'm learning machine work and buying the neccesary equipment when I have the chance - all the shops I know that do it are run by crusty old dudes that look like they might just keel over at any minute.

No one is learning these trades anymore. Was the same when I worked on industrial machinery - there isn't anyone going to school for this stuff anymore so it's all on-the-job training and learning from guys that should have retired 20 years ago. And the kids these days have no patience for these arts. They want things to be fast and easy and at the click of a button - and these special hands-on skills that machines often require are anything but instant gratification. Thus they seemingly have no interest in it.

What's even more sad is that as a result of this machines are no longer being built to be repaired. They are engineered to be thrown away and thus bring in repeat business for the manufacturer and cut out the repair man and the rebuilder.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Yeah..... that's why I'm learning machine work and buying the neccesary equipment when I have the chance - all the shops I know that do it are run by crusty old dudes that look like they might just keel over at any minute.

No one is learning these trades anymore. Was the same when I worked on industrial machinery - there isn't anyone going to school for this stuff anymore so it's all on-the-job training and learning from guys that should have retired 20 years ago. And the kids these days have no patience for these arts. They want things to be fast and easy and at the click of a button - and these special hands-on skills that machines often require are anything but instant gratification. Thus they seemingly have no interest in it.

What's even more sad is that as a result of this machines are no longer being built to be repaired. They are engineered to be thrown away and thus bring in repeat business for the manufacturer and cut out the repair man and the rebuilder.

GD

I couldn't have said it better myself.

After Xact closes, sounds like we will be using C&D Machine in Totem Lake. I wasn't very happy with the last set I got back from them though but we will see. My boss also has been talking about buying some of Brad's equipment so we can do in house machine work:slobber: