Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Passing wire through firewall 2000 legacy

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rpm90001

Rpm90001

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Endicott NY

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:46 PM

I just installed my drawtite trailer hitch and wiring harness.....well almost..

I ran the power wire that goes to the battery under the carpet and got it to under the dash. The problem is, I can't find an access hole to run the wire to the engine compartment. I just quit because it's late and will finish it in the morning. Anyone know if a good access spot to run the power wire? I believe it is a 12g wire. Figured I would ask here to see if anyone ran into this problem. This is the first car I could not find a access spot.

Also, the drawtite hitch hangs a lot lower than I thought... Not to happy with design.

Thanks,

Geo

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,622 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:37 AM

The 96 - 99 cars had a good spot right where the fuel lines come into the fire wall behind the drivers strut tower. There are 3 lines, but a plug in the firewall with 4 "nipples". Poke a hole in the empty one and feed the wire through.

#3 subie94

subie94

Major Subaru Fan..

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • Epsom,N.H.

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:44 AM

The 96 - 99 cars had a good spot right where the fuel lines come into the fire wall behind the drivers strut tower. There are 3 lines, but a plug in the firewall with 4 "nipples". Poke a hole in the empty one and feed the wire through.

Man,had i known about that spot i would of stopped poking a hole through the grommet for the clutch (or brake) when i would run power for the Amps..

#4 Rpm90001

Rpm90001

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Endicott NY

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

I found a spot. Just below the clutch cylinder was an empty rubber plug. Poked a hole in it and ran the wire there. Ended up above the gas pedal. Worked perfect. I will tow with the Subaru for the first time tomorrow. Still very unhappy with how low the drawtite hitch sits. I have seen way better fitting hitch systems.

Thanks for the help.

Geo

#5 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,270 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

as long as it is tight and does not wiggle it will be fine. you are not hauling the queen mary.

#6 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

Right on, near where the clutch is/would be there is a nice large plugged hole. In the Subaru service manual, I did see one time where they mentioned using this hole as part of a diagnostic procedure. I think it was to run a transmission pressure gauge through it to be able to watch it while driving on the auto trans. Maybe that was the hole for the clutch pedal I am thinking of since mine's an auto.

#7 Rpm90001

Rpm90001

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Endicott NY

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:30 PM

I know Im not towing the Queen Mary, but it just looks horrible compared to other systems I have seen.

Posted Image

#8 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

Hm...yah it does kind of leave all its junk hanging out there doesn't it. Perhaps a small set of gold colored truck nuts would dress it up? Posted Image

#9 Rpm90001

Rpm90001

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Endicott NY

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

I think the the truck nuts would dress it up nicely..!

#10 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,270 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:39 PM

RE: truck nuts

i saw a large diesel pick up the other day with connecting rods and pistons hanging down off the hitch. it was a first for me.

#11 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

I think the the truck nuts would dress it up nicely..!

I completely agree! :lol:

#12 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,622 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

Posted Image
:banana:

#13 Rpm90001

Rpm90001