Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What kinda block heater?

That isn't a block heater, it is a n oil pan heater and it just attaches to the bottom of the oil pan. You are in COLD sountry and want a true block heater . One that keeps the coolant warm and thus the entire engine ready to start on a cold morning. I may have one out of an EJ motor, but you will need to check and see if it will fit into the port on the EA motor. It goes into a hole in the bolck that is already there with a threaded plug in it and then the cord is routed to the front grill and you can plug the car in overnight.

Some coolant heaters can just splice in to your lower radiator hose. But an oil pan heater would be a good place to start, and is less invasive. Block heaters aren't necessarily to warm up your entire engine for you, but to warm up certain components enough so that the damn thing will start. Once started, the rest will warm up fast.

In my experience with cold start problems, it was that my oil had become too viscous, preventing the oil pump from turning, and thusly the rest of the engine. I started putting an incandescent lightbulb under my oil pan every evening, and it put out enough heat to warm my oil just enough so that the bastard would start.

A battery warmer is also a good idea. If you get a battery blanket, block heater, and sump heater, your car will start just like it was summer.

I find I need the block heater in mine plugged in at -10 deg. C, about 15 deg. F. It makes a huge difference. The car is much happier. I wish I had the sump heater, too.

This is the type you want: http://www.amazon.com/Kats-11416-Watt-Frost-Heater/dp/B000I8YOUQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1325018348&sr=1-2

Except it screws into one of the front plugs on the engine. Save yourself the trouble and do it right the first time. Dont do anything but this or a bottle heater. Those heater pads suck in this country.

I will find the screw in part number for you. I have one out in the shop.

I have a 1000 watt Kats tank heater in my OBS. Tee'd off the lower radiator hose (not too easy since theres not much lower hose there) and then into the heater core inlet hose. Heats the heater core first, then the engine. Keeps frost off the windshield, and if you let it go long enough I get up to around 150f at the temp sensor.

Only side effect is it stumbles for a second when you first start it, because the temp sensor is warm, and theres a bit of an inrush of cold coolant on startup. So the ECU thinks everythings warmer than it really is. Ends up cooling down to around 110f, but then is back up to 140 or so after maybe 30 seconds. Still way way way better than 0 degree engine.

The instant heat is so worth it too.

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-11405-Watt-Frost-Heater/dp/B000I8YORY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1325038015&sr=1-1

so just that right there?

I can tell you one thing. MY car has started every morning. even when -20 degress F. However that morning i couldnt let out the clutch and go anywhere. But i think that my car just would be better with one. I think driving on a cold engine is affecting my gas mileage. Cause I have been getting around 16 mpg...?

How exactly would i install it?

There seems to be some discrepancy with the picture. Mine is a screw in plug. You stick an allen wrench extension in the plug on the engine, unscrew it and screw the new one in. Mind you, the plug will probably offer some difficulty coming out of the engine, due to its been in there a while.

Thin out your transmission fluid. You could do synthetic or you could do as I did and mixed ATF with 90w. You will probably hear some complaints about that route, but its a legit option.

Its not even got cold yet...just wait. ;)

There seems to be some discrepancy with the picture. Mine is a screw in plug. You stick an allen wrench extension in the plug on the engine, unscrew it and screw the new one in. Mind you, the plug will probably offer some difficulty coming out of the engine, due to its been in there a while.

Thin out your transmission fluid. You could do synthetic or you could do as I did and mixed ATF with 90w. You will probably hear some complaints about that route, but its a legit option.

Its not even got cold yet...just wait. ;)

so yes or no to being the right one?

so yes or no to being the right one?

If that is the correct picture, no, its not like mine. I am thinking its not the right picture.

Here is what mine looks like, and this should fit yours as well but check into it.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ZRO0/3100008.oap?year=2006&make=Subaru&model=Legacy&vi=1432742&******=Search_01372_1432742_-1&pt=01372&ppt=C0332

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-13080-Aluminum-Circulating-Heater/dp/B000I8VKOY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_9

Thats the one I have, except mine is 1000 watts. More than enough for any subie engine.

The freeze plug heaters are better than nothing but they dont work nearly as well as a circulating heater. The circulating heater heats the whole cooling system, which is especially useful since the heater core is the first thing getting heated. No frost on my windshield in the morning.